Saturday, March 5

Asian Hairstyles: No wonder we all look the same.

I've noticed a few trends sweeping over all Asian girls. Asian girls may have once been known for straight black hair, but now... it seems like they're (we're) all born with brown curly hair. 

I've recently been looking for haircut and hairstyle inspirations... I think I've been looking at the same haircut again and again, on different girls.
  • The Bangs.
 This one really really annoys me because there's a couple of ways of styling your bangs that I really like. I wish I could pull off the sideswept flowy look! But my forehead is tiny and I need something that requires minimal maintenance. No matter where you look, you'd be hard-pressed to find a hairstyle without bangs. 
source
source
source


  • The Color.
You already notice this in the previous pictures. Weren't Asians supposed to have black hair? Nope. Not really. Not anymore. Finding an Asian girl with black hair is almost as hard as finding an Asian girl not wearing circle lens. Not that this is a dig on either. I own circle lens. 
source


  • The Curls.
This is pretty funny. Asian girls (myself included) have this mentality about curling their hair. On a regular day, if you're not into much preparation, you may leave it natural. This might mean slight waves, slight poofy-ness, but generally straight. On a day when you have time in the morning, you may opt to straighten it. This creates straightener-straight hair. I thought this was awesome in middle school. For a fancy occasion, such as prom or a night out, you curl your hair. Without fail, you curl your hair. I realized this at prom when all the Asian girls with normally straight hair decided to curl. Evidence? My prom picture. Check yours. 
I've been trying to do waves and casual loose curls. ...I'll get back to you on that. 
source
source
source


  • The spikes.  
 This type of hair is gravity defying and very different from all the previous pictures.  I feel like this type of hair takes a lot more time and well, it's an art form in itself. Check out this video!


So, I'm pretty much done with looking at pictures of other people's hair. After a while, the blank stares get to you! I still have straight black hair with no bangs and I know there are a ton of people with this hairstyle out there. So keep rocking whatever mop you got on top of your head!

Any suggestions for how I should cut my hair? Here's a photo reference.

13 comments:

  1. These all look veryy difficult. The last pic is cutest but it might just be the girl -_-;;

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have naturally curly hair so, I don't do anything to it because it's a pain to straighten and damaging. I'd suggest not cutting too much and going for those beach waves- now you don't see many Asian chicks' with hair like that ^__~

    XOXO
    Miss. P

    Oh, I'm a new follower, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahaha :D well proud to say that i've never done any of the above to my hair!
    great blog!
    loving the posts
    stop by some time xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your hair how it is! You already know where I stand on cutting it though, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm just.. frustrated with my hair ._. and I think you've great locks <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. so true! my hair is a mess. i haven't cut/dyed it in ages because i dont know what to do with it. & i look horrible w/ bangs. some days i just want to wear a wig and not deal w/ it. xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. My hair is black and white. But true, I can't live without my bangs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have always been jealous of Asian hair. It seems like everyone has the best hair in the entire world. I mean, I love my hair, and I guess everyone is jealous of everyone else's hair, but still ... My hair feels so boring, and yours is super beautiful. No fair.

    http://glamkittenslitterbox.blogspot.com/
    Twitter: @GlamKitten88

    ReplyDelete
  9. Funny you point that out, I truly believe that 9/10 girls in Asia have bangs, including the guys (so many male celebs in Taiwan have bangs @_@

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haha I reckon I've tried all these hair cuts minus the spikes ! I think whether bangs look good or not on you depends on how your hair stylist cuts them. I've had several over the years and they've all had different styles leading to different results and how well the bangs sit on my forehead ! Most of the time I'm unhappy about the result though ;-x I hope you find something that suits you -- keep experimenting haha ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. hahaha! This is really funny. I like your title - so many caucasian people think that all asians look alike (well, the ones i know):-)
    I actually wished my hair was non-asian - it's very fine, thin and too silky for upstyles.
    I think i like the soft curls best!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!