Tuesday, March 15

It's Spring Break!

I don't have any plans. I tried to make plans to go to Vulcan, Canada as well as Riverside, Iowa. (who gets it?) I considered going to LA with my family. I thought about visiting friends... But everything is so expensive and time consuming. I did go to to Flagstaff (an area about 3 hours north of where I live yesterday, but we just got lost. I'll make a separate post about that later. It was a boring adventure.)

Otherwise, I'm just planning on some R&R this break then. Truth be told, I've never gone on a traditional college break full of Mexican beach parties and boozing it up. I don't think I ever will. 

via weheartit
But, what do I do during the break? I know I want to study, get caught up on school and apply for jobs, but... I also want to read. I honestly don't remember the last book I read. I think it was Committed by Elizabeth Gilbert. This post is going to end up asking for book recommendations, but let me tell you a bit about the books I like first. I have a shrine to JFK. The shrine is filled with books that I've just skimmed for pictures. I'd read those, but I own them and I feel like I can read them anytime. I have ever single Sherlock Holmes story. I've read most of them, but again, I feel like if I own it, I can read it anytime. 

I want to read something new and current, so I can join in on discussions on other blogs. I adore mystery stories. I used to like fantasy books, but I haven't read one in a while. I may have gotten past that phase (except for, you know, I read Twilight and the Mortal Instruments). I love classics; they make me feel cultured. My favorite type of literature is short stories. I feel like I can pick these up and put these down easily.

I'm likely not to finish all the books I have planned, but just give me a few ideas. I promise I'll post about whatever I read so you know I didn't just sleep through break. 

I'm currently reading the Devil and Sherlock Holmes. i was obsessed with this book ever since it came out and I love the real life mystery stories! I have, tentatively, on my list so far:
1. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, The Girl who Played with Fire, The Girl who Kicked the Hornet's Nest - Sounds like a mystery!
2. Water for Elephants - I've been told it's a good book and there's a movie based on it coming out soon.
3. Wishful Drinking - Carrie Fisher is awesome at anytime. I've also recently started watching the Indiana Jones series and being interested in Harrison Ford, who she talks about.
4. Letters to Jackie - Just feeding the JFK obsession.
5. Dr. Zhivago- I think this is a romantic story... which I've been looking for.


So, any suggestions?


8 comments:

  1. The Hunger Games series! For easy and fast-paced futuristic reading. But definitely Water for Elephants, because it was brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. one of my favorite books is "House of Leaves". It's mystery-ish, but it's also insane. like, so insane most people don't want to bother with it. Flip through the pages and you'll see what i mean :) also, if you're looking for good mysteries try checking out some books by agatha christie. All her novels are murder-mysteries, and they're all pretty quick reads. good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed "The Girl who Played With Fire" and "The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest" - I thought "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" was pretty slow, but it is worth it to read all 3! :) I am reading "Secrets of Eden" right now by Chris Bohjahlian (book) and "The History of Suicide" (kindle) right now. I look forward to hearing what others say!

    (I have also read "Water for Elephants" and I own the book. I am thinking about reading it again before the movie comes out because it has been a long time since i read it and I feel like I need to reread it!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. in my future, i want to have an amazing rom full of books for staying and read hours and hours haha! :)

    xx

    www.sickbytrend.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh have fun on your spring break!! I'm pretty low on books, too! I need to upgrade my taste and genre, been reading Young Adult books for years now! lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want to see water for elephants!!! I would like to see R Patt NOT as a vampire for once, I think he is a good actor

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wna read Water for Elephants too!!! I'm always encouraging people to read Room by Emma Donoghue and The Help; by someone whose name I can't remember. Really really good stuff. And if you want something "lighter"; Letters to My Daughters" and "The Stepmothers' Support Group; Sam Baker" are some awesome reads too!!!:D:D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really liked the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, so I'm sure you'll dig that. I always have to talk up my favorite author though, John Irving. He's probably best known for Cider House Rules, but my favorite is A Prayer for Owen Meany. GO READ IT.

    Please. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!