Sunday, May 22

Four Week Challenge: Matilda Style Inspiration

It's pretty much officially summer and a week of unimportant "firsts" at this blog. This week marks the first time I posted on a Wednesday. It's also the first time I'm posting on a Sunday--today! And the only time I'm posting not in my usually scheduled hour of 9am.

Why am I breaking all sorts of rules? It's because of the Four Week Challenge, of course! As a refresher, during week one, you're supposed to draw inspiration from a television show or movie. I already did Matilda (see here) and today I'm choosing another inspirational character from the show.

Miss Honey is kind, intelligent, caring, fun and understanding. She's everyone's ideal teacher.

via fanpop

And she has a killer fashion sense. She always looks so refined and gentle. I wanted to replicate that (with a friend at a picnic, more on that later.) Specifically, I wanted to do my version of this dress.

 via Embeth Davidtz Fan

Isn't it stunning? Here's my try.






Dress: Forever 21 (15.50)
Shoes: Aldo (49.50, on sale from 70.00)

I just want to finish on a note about maxi dresses.  Every girl under 5'5 (and I used to be included in this group too) thought that short girls couldn't wear maxi dresses. But honestly, with the right dress, you can actually look taller. In looking for this dress, I've tried on my fair share of tents, but just keep trying! I found the unique elastic waistband to actually elongate my legs.

*I also noticed that in all of these pictures, the little bow is untied. How embarrassing.

23 comments:

  1. Ahhh miss honey - the ideal teacher ^_^ Your maxi dress looks so cool and summer-y~

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look great in that dress! I used to think that too, about short girls not lookin' good in maxi dresses. But I guess it just depends on the cut and how you wear it. Following you. xx

    http://forshoeswefall.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hah, I think I can tell who took the pictures based on the angle of that last one. :P But what happened to the hat?

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE the dress! You look gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. love the floral patters and you are absolutely right! I am approximately 5"5 and I be wearing them maxi dresses because they all look sooo lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love florals and this one is stunning! And you look wonderful in that maxi dress. ^-^

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so in love with this dress. You look totally gorgeous in it. I wish I could pull off this look as well as you.

    http://www.glamkittenslitterbox.com/
    Twitter: @GlamKitten88

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aww you look so PRETTY here and we very rarely get to see you head to toe :) I do think the right maxi definitely helps elongate rather shorten a petite!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful dress!! You look gorgeous! Following your blog now =) Hope you follow my blog, and facebook too!!

    http://www.facebook.com/grandjewelry#!/grandjewelry?sk=wall

    Like my facebook page!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're right. I actually love maxi dresses and I'm 5' tall! =)

    ReplyDelete
  11. sooo gorgeous!! You look amazing and you're totally right, the right maxi dress can do wonders. your legs look miles long! haha. So glad you clued me into this awesome challenge <3

    ReplyDelete
  12. You're pretty and cute, love your floral dress ! I like your blog and if you like and follow mine I will be happy to follow back ! Kisses

    http://fashionandcookies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think the maxi looks really cute on you, and i like that you looked to the sweet and sensible miss honey for your fashion inspiration.

    Chic on the Cheap

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ahh, I love that movie! I like the pattern and style of your dress much more than Miss Honey's in the second picture. Plus the maxi dress is very flattering on you. I haven't found the right type of long dress for me. :(

    ReplyDelete
  15. I didn't even notice the little bow was untied until you noticed it, haha!

    I love this look! That maxi dress is so CUTE! Perfect for a picnic! I love the graphic floral print and the colors.

    Can't wait to see what your Wild Card is! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. cute CUTE maxi dress! love the colors on it. it fits you perfectly. i'm tempted to go out to F21 and get one for myself now! so lovely!

    spinning-threads.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think you did a great job and that maxidress is stunning!!!
    xx
    http://dontcallmefashionblogger.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. cute pics!



    xoxo from rome
    K.
    http://kcomekarolina.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  19. Such a pretty dress! Looks fantastic on you!

    xo
    http://artfashiontwentysomething.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. you look great in that dress, love it!

    http://lovesljd.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  21. i love this dress on you! the print is so pretty. xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!