Saturday, July 9

Asian Express: A Cheap Eat, but is it any good?

Before I start this post, I just want to thank everyone for their comments on my last post. You're all amazing for sharing your fears with me and making me feel okay. Moving on to something less scary....


This week, on 7% Solution's battle for good food, I bring you Asian Express!

I actually went here with my family.



The setting was a rather stereotypical Chinese restaurant. The atmosphere wasn't great, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything about the food.



They have Engrish on their menu. "We would not add MSG." And they're offended you would think so.


They show neat pictures of their dishes. I find that really helpful if you're exactly not sure what you're about to be ordering.


They also have this incredibly unique offer where they will cook fish you bring in. I have never seen that before. It's an incredibly personal touch and really speaks to the adaptability and skill of the chefs.


I got iced tea. It wasn't amazing, but iced tea isn't something you go to Chinese restaurants for.


I was feeling like soup so I ordered a pork noodle soup. It was the saltiest thing I have ever tasted.


My mom ordered pork and rice with green peppers. The flavor was pretty spot on. I took this picture about a minute after the plate was set down...as you can see, it was a popular dish.


The fish in this dish was very salty and the sprouts in this dish were tasteless.

This was actually a pretty good dish, but the little ribs, were again, too salty. I have to say that while this place REALLY didn't work for my. My mother loved it. She continues to love it. 
My mom ordered. Like usual.

10 comments:

  1. I really miss eating Asian food. I used to eat it all the time. It's so amazing.
    Now I'm going to dream about it.
    That isn't a bad thing ...

    http://www.glamkittenslitterbox.com/
    Twitter: @GlamKitten88

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why is it tough to find an Asian restaurant with great food and great atmosphere? Hehe Unless it's Asian fusion, which is basically American-Asian.

    Anyway, I like that bring-your-own-seafood-and-we'll-cook-it-for-you ditty. There's a market back in the Philippines where you can do just that... buy your food at the market, then bring it over to one of the many restos on the side and they'll cook it for you however you want. Again, not the best atmosphere but you're in a wet market, it's an experience all its own.

    ReplyDelete
  3. most of these looks very.. slimy

    but the ice tea looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's hit and miss with those hole-in-the-wall restaurants. Sometimes you are dissapointed, but once in a while, you find a true gem!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chinese places really do seem to be hit-or-miss. Sometimes they're great and sometimes terrible, but hopefully you'll find a better one soon!
    -Meagan
    http://spunkychateau.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shame about the food! Totally agree with everyone elses comments, Chinese restaurants are such a hit or miss.

    Hope you find a better one soon!

    xoxox

    http://www.ashleighduncan.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post :)
    http://xtheperfectmess.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. We still love Vietnamese and Korean food the best as their flavours are subtle but yum!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not a huge fan of Chinese food. I actually prefer Thai food. Better for you and just tastes better. They use tons of lemongrass and curry which I love.....

    xo,
    Sarah
    Get Up & Go

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!