Saturday, July 16

Closet Philosophy

Girls, let's talk about our closet/budget philosophy. Most of us think clothes are pretty neat and we like to buy things that we want. Even though we all have very different budgets,  a certain concept seems to apply all across the board. 


Buy less cheap clothes you'll only wear a few times; buy more expensive clothes that will last you a long time. 


This definitely makes sense when you think about it, but a few things from my experience tell me that it's not always true. 




1. Cheap items aren't always flimsy. 


I used to have THE MOST COMFORTABLE pair of heels. I don't remember where I got them from, but they were so amazing that they were the only pair of shoes I brought on vacation. That's right--vacation! Even with sightseeing, uneven pavements and all day of walking... I knew that these heels would be better than a pair of tennis shoes. One of my favorite pairs of jeans cost nine bucks. I wear a ton of cheapie shirts; none above twenty dollars. 


2. Expensive items might not be a good investment.

Even if you buy fewer items; even if you buy more expensive clothes, you can't guarantee that you'll like it.  Maybe it's different for other people. When I buy clothes, I make sure that I'll like it before handing over my credit card. But sometimes, it doesn't work with that pair of shoes, or it looks different in the sun, or there's a tear you didn't notice. I can still return it. Sometimes I keep clothes for too long and I can't return it... but I don't know if I truly love an item until six months later. 


I can wear a new shirt four times in the first month I buy it but only once in the following four months. Just because you buy something expensive doesn't mean that you'll like it more.


3. Expensive items may still not hold up. 


Of course, I would expect a fifty dollar pair of shoes to fare better than a twenty dollar pair. I would expect a fifteen dollar shirt to go through a few more washes than a five dollar shirt. But what if that doesn't happen? I have these twenty dollar pants from NY & CO that pill so badly, I wear them as sweatpants. I have a nice shirt that's slightly fraying. Even though you can guess about the quality a certain item, you never truly know until you put it though the test.


4. Is the maintenance worth it? 

Dry clean only. Hand wash. Only wash on a Wednesday with a full moon. Right... Sometimes, if you wash an item wrong once, it turns on you. Other times, the maintenance that comes with a nice piece of clothing is three or four dollars per wear. In the long term, expensive items are made even more expensive by the cost of their maintenance. 


So... have the "expensive" items I'm buying just not have been expensive enough? Do I need to buy a 200 dollar dress before I know what true quality is? Is cheap sometimes...just as good? 


I'm still transforming my closet from jeans/t-shirt of a fifteen year old to the professional wear I'm going to need as a young adult. I find that the stores I look in have changed from Charlotte Russe and Forever 21 to Ann Taylor Loft, Express and The Limited. Lemme know if you think cheap items can still pass the test!

19 comments:

  1. i tend to buy cheap clothes, but before i do i check/feel the material. i also will NEVER buy anything that is retail priced. if i want something that is branded/expensive i will wait until there is a sale. majority of the time, it will eventually go on sale.

    however, the only items i am willing to spend a lot on are bags and outerwear. they are staples that can be worn many times over and over.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you! The things I spend the most on are definitely shoes and jackets. But for other things, like t-shirts and even blouses, I refuse to spend more than 20€. In the past, I would spend 80€ for some jeans. Now, I can see how ridiculous that is. There are certainly some higher brands, in which the quality ends up justifying the price. Even though I would spend a lot in the past without even thinking about it, nowadays I can't seem to do it as easily as before. I think a million of times before buying something expensive.
    That's also why, for instance, I wait for sales for buying most of the things that I have on my wishlist.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tend to buy cheap basics because they're easily replaceable, and cheap 'trendy' pieces because I know I'll only wear it a couple of times. I'm willing to spend a lot more on well-made, unique pieces and sneakers because those are things that express my style and pull my outfits together. Budget wise, it all evens out in the end. I have tons and tons of wifebeaters in every color because I'll usually pair them up with a jacket and kicks, and I'm good to go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thrift most of my clothing nowadays, so I believe that cheap can also mean quality if I pick the right pieces. Things I tend to spend more on are shoes and pants. Those are harder to thrift for me! :D Is the first picture from your actual closet?? It's lovely!! =D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree, BUT i love clothes which have a good brand (i mean calvin klein etc.) but very often those clothes r expensive.. what a shame.. so i just wait for the sale

    btw, this was very good idea to write about!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I almost always go for expensive clothes. Everyone who knows me knows this. However, I do have some cheaper items that I absolutely adore!! So I know exactly what you are talking about.

    http://www.glamkittenslitterbox.com/
    Twitter: @GlamKitten88

    ReplyDelete
  7. I try not to discriminate based on brands and prices (although I'm a total sucker for Free People and handbags) but I think that thrift stores are often an exception to the 'more expensive = better quality' concept. Generally speaking, things that have been worn repeatedly and still hold together well will continue to do so (and therefore proves that it is quality). If you are talented at browsing second hand stores, you can almost always find nice things for pretty low costs that you know won't fall apart in two washes (since time has already proven that it will not).


    tacosandfreecandy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love cheap items, and I will forever shop at Forever21, I think stores like that are brilliant!

    xx Grace
    Dream-Boating

    ReplyDelete
  9. You made some really good points. I have to really like something if I have to dry clean it.
    To me it's not just the expense but the inconvenience.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i agree! i'm all about fast fashion! love if you could visit my blog, we might like some very similar brands! btw i'm having my first ever giveaway at my blog and i'd love for you to join! please do drop by, it's 3 simple steps and you can win an amazing dress!

    xx from hong kong :)
    www.ldmldmldm.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is completely true, sometimes expensive doesn't always means quality and cheap doesn't always means trash. But even if it does... what guarantee do you have you'll like it and wear it until it tears apart? I can tell for myself that I get tired of things very quickly so I better buy cheap things and change them (not so) often than spend entire loan (or earnings) on one piece of clothing.
    P.s. thank you for your comment and I really liked your story (why do we cry over something over and over?).

    xoxo
    http://randomgirl-ishstuff.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so true! I have so many clothes that are on the cheaper side, and they have actually lasted longer than some of my expensive ones! I have a pair of heels from Forever 21 that I got for $10 and I wore them all over cobblestone in Italy for 2 years and they are still in good shape. No joke. Great points in this post!

    xo
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this post. Expensive does not always mean better. Some of these items are dry clean only on top of being expensive. Who's got time to always dry clean. Also I think some stores over charge and under deliver with quality.....it happens often. I do invest ALWAYS in leather shoes. That will never change.

    xo
    Sarah
    Get Up & Go

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think for tops and casual dresses, cheap is fine because styles change often enough, but I'm willing to hand over a little more for things like jeans and shoes that I know I'll wear a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I say mix and match - buy what you love (in your price range of course_ but mixing high w/low is always a "do" (-: Not everything expensive is "good" either.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yeaaahhh, this is a problem for me usually. At this point, there are only ever a few things I'll splurge on. Purses, because they fall apart if they're cheap, shoes, because they hurt if they're cheap, and jeans, because I have a huge butt. Other than that, I'm all about cheap blouses and skirts and dresses - those never really suffer "wear and tear" so I feel like they're fine to save on.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You raise some pretty good points. I've bought a handful of items judging their quality on price point and finding it infallible at a higher cost. and in the end it wasnt totally worth it. I've found some cheaper items hold up better, surprisingly. either way I keep clothes as long as possible.

    http://sojournedinstyle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. I mostly buy 'expensive' clothes that are on sale. I cannot bring myself to pay full price, unless it's something I really like. I also always check for quality. Bargains rule! :D

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have a combination of high- and low-priced items. And you're right it's impossible to predict which one will become your favorites so you might as well just buy what you like. :)

    Jenn
    Secondhand Stylist Thrifted - Three Ways

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!