Tuesday, August 16

I'm embarrassed I blog. Sometimes.

via weheartit
Are you guys ever embarrassed you blog? A lot of people say how blogging is an escape and I absolutely agree with that. For people, it's a little bit of an obligation too; when you don't blog, you feel a tad guilty because you didn't keep up with some friends. But sometimes, I feel guilty for blogging. Especially blogging about some of the things that I blog about.

Fashion? Makeup? Food? I feel bad for talking about these thing when there are real people with real issues out there in life.

Don't get me wrong, I love looking at fashion and makeup and food, but isn't there something about that that seems a little... vapid? I can't say that I love fashion when there are individuals who are truly dedicated-those who work in the fashion industry and blog as insiders or those who revel in every bit of fashion related news. I don't have a great talent in putting together outfits or applying makeup. Interests that translate into skills (DIY, or others) are truly admirable. That's not to say that things that remain just interests are lame either. So many women (and men) pay attention ot the clothes they wear.

When people ask me what I do in my free time, I want to say that I blog. The next logical question is "What about?" I think answering with "Makeup, fashion, food, my life." makes me sound shallow. I accept myself for who I am and my friends accept me for who I am as well. But what about those people who I don't know as well? What would be your reaction to your blog if you weren't in this bloggy world?

13 comments:

  1. I am never embarrassed to be a fashion blogger. I am extremely proud of how I have grown my fashion blog to be what it is. It's a huge part of my life! I would love to do this professionally, actually. I love it that much!

    http://www.glamkittenslitterbox.com/
    Twitter: @GlamKitten88

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do feel embarrassed sometimes to give tips and advice where I'm not an expert but I do claim them as my experience so it's not too bad :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Umm, sometimes I do. If my blog were purely DIYs and tutorials, I think it would be fine because then I could say I want to share craft ideas. I feel more self-conscious about it when doing reviews and other random posts, maybe because I wonder why anyone would really care about my opinion (I'm definitely not an expert!). But ultimately, I really enjoy the blog community / learning from everyone and that's what really matters :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i dont think you should feel guilty at all. if makeup/fashion, etc is your passion/hobby then blog and be proud. other people like cars, sports, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know exactly what you mean,I feel like that all the time!!! But when it comes down to it, it's your blog and you can write about whatever you want. If people judge you for it then they're the shallow ones.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know what you're feeling. I have only told one friend about my blog. I have a lot of interests and making clothes is only a small part of me. I started blogging about it, because in a way I'm proud of what I make, but in another way I'm embarrased to tell my friends. Don't know why, maybe I should 'come out' :)
    I must say I like your blog, always gives me something to think about. So you're definitely not shallow :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think fashion blogging is a fun hobby, a great way to get feedback and to get to know other bloggers, and a learning experience. You have many interests, fashion/beauty/makeup being only just one facet, as evidenced by these thoughtful posts that you write. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was thinking the same thing a couple days ago.
    Where Im working at, people are so cool and nice but when they discovered my blog, I was a little bit embarassed. especially while Im not working in the fashion industry.
    I guess everyone would feel the same ? ! dunno..

    xx

    http://mymymode.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can get what you're saying. Sometimes, I feel the exact same way. I don't know how would I react, if the people around me knew about my blog. It's something so personal, that just the idea of getting discovered freaks me out! x)
    Btw, I love your new blog design! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Definitely no guilt coming from my direction. I definitely don't consider fashion and style to be at the top of my list of priorities but if I always thought about and acted on the stuff that really 'mattered' (which is a subjective notion anyway) I wouldn't have as much fun as I do when I make time for the frivolity that inspires and amuses me.

    Great post. I like stuff like this that makes me think.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had these same feelings when I first started blogging (felt very, very shallow about the things I blogged about - mostly makeup) but then I remembered why I started blogging.. to escape real life problems and indulge in something I love, even if only briefly each day.

    I am still kind of embarrassed to mention that I blog to coworkers, friends and family..

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree. totally. no one.one more time. no one knows about my blog. I'm too ashamed to admit it,to tell someone.they will want to look through it, and than bam! "shallow" they think and the truth is I'm way more than that but I need to escape sometimes, like you,like others...some may not understand that. thanks for this post.glad that I'm not alone...and run to see Braidesmaides :) take care xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you guys for your input.

    I know I can never feel as proud as some of you, but I guess everyone does have their own little interests. I guess I can look at this as more of a scrapbook for me. =)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!