Saturday, November 26

OktoberFest

In Tempe, there's an OktoberFest every year. At night in turns to drinking but it's like a German themed fair during the day. Ever since I started blogging, I've wanted to go to more of these events so I dragged my friends!

We parked... and right after we got out of the car, we saw these empty little bottles of alcohol. "Somebody had a good night," I quipped. 


The festival takes place at Tempe Beach Park, right down from Mill Ave where we parked

Right off the bat, we pooled twenty dollars together for tickets and started checking out all the little shops and places that offered food.


Having never tried funnel cakes before, this was what I went for!


When I got it (with cinnamon topping) I found that there was more than enough to share.


We sat by Tempe Town Lake to enjoy our funnel cakes.



I thought it might have been cooler since it was October... but nope! It's still warm even now. It seemed like there were too many people.



Since it was OktoberFest, there was beer tastings everywhere.



I even spotted this little German dude!


We also stopped by the baseball field, which they modified to be a short racing track. We saw dachshund races. They were purebred... and adorable.



They had to race down this track... And although they looked silly, they ran really, really fast.



To wind down our day, we decided to split a caramel apple. This one was covered in oreos. I found out that those knives they cut the apples with are really more like saws.



They also had a ton of other types of apples. I wish I could have tried one piece of each. 


But we were very satisfied with our apple. A long time ago, I think I ate a caramel apple that got stuck in my teeth, but this one didn't do that at all and it was just delicious. Since I hate apples, I thought it was a decent way to enjoy them.



Oktoberfest also had several stages around the park all playing different types of music. There was polka dancing, rock music and country. Of course, mix that with a little alcohol and you have people dancing up front.



The stages were really nice places of congregation because there were lots of umbrellas to shield us from the sun and tables to sit down on. Unfortunately, it was too busy for us to get a seat.


I thought it was a super fun experience and a nice way to spend an afternoon. I might go back just for the fair food. 

40 comments:

  1. Funnel cakes are the best-- especially with just powdered sugar. I think those candied apples look delicious, but I'm sure they're horrible for my teeth! (and appetite!)

    ♥ laura
    the blog of worldly delights

    ReplyDelete
  2. chocolates and camel apple!! yummy looks good and fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love your sunny posts :)))

    http://excurlythoughts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like so much this blog.
    Funny and new thigs i find when come here.

    http:/paquetevistasbien.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks so so much fun although nothing beats the original Oktoberfest in Germany ;) <3 xxx
    http://cupcakesandtreacle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. What fun! Looks like you had a blast.
    I recently partnered with JewelMint to give my readers a 50% discount on their first purchase, so be sure to check it out! Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like great fun! Thanks for your lovely comment xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. love this post and also your blog! It's so nice!!! I follow you!
    Pass to my blog and if it likes you follow me too, I will be so glad :D
    kisses
    http://francescagiusti.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like so much fuun! I love your pictures, wish I was there! xxAnisa

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's not like real Oktoberfest at all! :D At least that's what I heard from my family who lives in Munich, Germany and goes to traditional Munich Oktoberfest every year :D But it looks good anyway! :) Especially those apples covered in m&m's! Yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. thanks for the awesome comment! That looks like a fun day out! I love funnel cake. I've never been to an Oktoberfest though, I need to go next year ;]

    mango
    mangotatoes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. looks like fun! yum, funnel cake! xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Weird. Somehow I was not following your blog anymore, only I didn't do anything to unfollow you. OK, I am trying again.

    Looks like a fun festival. Lots of really good food.

    *Erin

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks fun! xoxo
    http://hellofridaybypaik.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. oktoberfest is definitely on my bucket list

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice post, I like it so much! These photos are so beautiful!!!

    Fox House giveaway on my blog!
    Take a look and if you like follow me, I’ll be waiting for you: Cosa mi metto???

    ReplyDelete
  17. I nearly fell off my seat when I saw the apples. My goodness, I need one of those now!

    And yeah, I know what you mean about not getting enough wear on BM items. It's like you have to stockpile on clothes that will work well with the prints etc., if you want to use it often. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those apples look DELISH!!! Sounds like a fun time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Funnel cake is so good!! Those candy covered apples look pretty good too. Looks like you enjoyed Oktoberfest :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. How fun! I bet you guys had a great time. I love the picture of the alcohol bottles because of the shadows. Shadows make for some awesome pictures.

    http://www.glamkittenslitterbox.com/
    Twitter: @GlamKitten88

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a beautiful day you had, sweetie!

    I am dying to try funnel cakes, haha and the doggie race must have been so adorable. :)


    xoxo,
    Addie
    The Cat Hag

    ReplyDelete
  22. So cool, must have been amazing!!


    http://placequotehere.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. great picks!!!!
    xxx
    naiad
    http://stateofgracebynaiad.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  24. looks like a good time :)
    Love Lois xxx

    http://lisforlois.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow it looks like so much fun! mmmm I love funnel cake :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. there's one in Helen, GA, a town that is German-themed

    ReplyDelete
  27. those desserts look amazing! my hubby and i enjoy oktoberfest. this year though didn't have any beer but did have a great sausage and pretzel combo!!!

    http://spinning-threads.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. Looks like a lot of fun! I went to an Oktoberfest once in SoCal and I enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow, great event! Love/hate apples too. Love since its a great trick to lose weight, hate because I do not like the taste at all.. eckk

    ReplyDelete
  30. I never tried funnel cakes too! But I always wanted to! I lived in LA cuse my dad bought a house there in Griffith Park but he sold it quite some time ago!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Beautiful pics!!!i'm following you!!!if you like mine, do the same!!
    WWW.ZAGUFASHION.COM

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wow awesome photos! :D Thanks for coming by my blog!

    http://daphyin-makeupisart.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  33. That looks like so much fun. We have an OktoberFest here in August, but it definitely isn't that cool.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I'm dying over the desserts! I'm sure you had a great time :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Note to self: Take all things I hate and cover them in chocolate and Oreos.. okra.. ex-boyfriends.. ugly clothes.. bad hair days.. I just might like them better this way ;p

    ReplyDelete
  36. aaah oh my gosh so exciting!! what a fun filled day!
    I want a caramel apple now...


    <3Amanda
    feast.fashion.faves
    Facebook
    Tweet Me!

    ReplyDelete
  37. This is sweet! We have one here and I love the strawberry funnel cakes. They're great when they're hot. I also love the apples, but have held back due to dental work. Thanks for sharing these. I'm a big fan of festivals. :D
    http://sassyuptownchic.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  38. just me - If that's one thing we have here, it's for sure the sun.

    Mangotatoes - You should go out for a day with friends. I liked it.

    Elle Sees - There used to be a Germany themed town in Michigan too... but I don't recall what it was called.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!