Tuesday, February 21

2011 Movie Reviews, Part Two

Please read my 2011 review, part one, here
via weheartit


Paul - This little alien sci-fi flick really warmed its way into my heart. The knockout team of Simon Pegg and Nick Frost can always seem to deliver the nerdy references to Comicon, Star Trek and what seems like every alien movie out there. I found myself noticing X-Files ET and Star Wars references... not to mention the cameos! That's all I'll say.

Your Highness - Oh dear God. James Franco alone wasn't enough for me to want to watch this movie... but Zooey Deschanel was involved too. NOT WORTH IT. Bland humor (or stoner humor? I can't tell the difference.)

Fright Night - Much scarier than I anticipated but if you're into Anton Yelchin, vampire lore, or want to catch a glimpse of David Tennant, curl up with a friend or cat or both and watch this! While the premise is hokey and the script doesn't pop, the acting brings this home. Look for a special performance by Christopher Mintz-Plasse.

Puss in Boots - I watched this in theaters because some of my friends dragged me. This wasn't Pixar's best but it wasn't too bad. I didn't think it was too funny. I guess you can watch this if you need to babysit and still watch a movie you'd enjoy.

Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows - I... could write pages on this but I'll try not to. This is a Guy Ritchie film. It's an action film with a minimal mystery component. I loved Noomi Rapace's character style in this movie. It was enjoyable.

Water For Elephants - Another movie that I randomly saw in theaters on a whim. I wasn't expecting ANYTHING from this movie but it actually wasn't bad. It's a romance story which I don't love, but Robert Pattinson plays a likable character. There are worse movies you could be watching.

Shanghai - I actually watched this in China... This is the ONLY movie that I've ever seen in China. I watched this with my family and I haven't heard of it at all in the states but I really liked it when I watched it. Watch it you like: period films, shanghai, Gong Li or John Cusack.

The Green Hornet - This film got some pretty awful reviews but its tongue in cheek humor delighted me. 


Friends with Benefits - I thought the first half of this movie was hilarious. I think Mila Kunis and Justin Timberlake are genius ... but it is a romantic comedy and it does get sappy at the end. Halfway through the film, I definitely got bored. The first half is loads better than the second.

There are also some movies that came out in 2011 that I still really want to watch! In no particular order:
- Super 8
- Kung Fu Panda and Kung Fu Panda 2
- Hanna
- The Three Musketeers
- The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
- Real Steel
- Hugo
- Colombiana
- J. Edgar


How many of these movies have you seen? What did you think?

24 comments:

  1. I loved Friends With Benefits! :-)

    Jayme @ Her Late Night Cravings

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some of these I've not seen! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've watched Puss in Boots and Friends with Benefits, love them both! Next up is J.Edgar cause LD is in it ;)

    Hope you had a great weekend my dear!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i didn't see lots of these actually..but i did see kungfu panda,dragon tattoo,musketeers..have yet to watch hugo and puss in boots..o and j.edgar

    ReplyDelete
  5. puss in boots is cute <3
    anyway, mind to follow each other?

    xoxo,
    gitasyalala.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh I still need to watch some of these. I love watching a movie and not expecting anything. I like to not get hyped up about it...I end up enjoying more movies that way haha

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've seen "puss in boots" and "sherlock holmes." Both were fun and enjoyable. highly recommend them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds really bad but I have seen NONE of these movies! 2011 was an extremely busy year for me, working full time, completing my mba at night, and starting my blog. I'd love to catch up on these movies though :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's almost impressive that you haven't seen any of these! You must be working extremely hard!

      Delete
  9. Paul sounded really cute. I saw friend's with benefits and could barely get through it - the dialogue was too contrived. I definitely need to try other movies on your list!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Most of your movie choices I haven't seen, guess I have some flicks to add to my must see pile. I went into Water for Elephants, not really knowing what to expect either and I really enjoyed it. I suggest One for the Money. I went to see it theater in Jan. and loved it. It is really funny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a great fan of Katherine Heigel, but I'll try it out since it's based on such a famous book.

      Delete
  11. I saw "Girl With A Dragon Tattoo".. It's a very good movie based on a very good book, however, for me it was very brutal at times and I had to turn away quite and cover my ears a few times.. if I'd knew that I wouldn't have gone because I was literally traumatized for a week.. :/
    Oh, but the Kung Fu Panda is very sweet and funny :)
    Good luck!

    skinnymoonstick.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. cool post! hmm that's a hard one, we watch movies a lot haha, but we didn't count :P!

    <3

    ReplyDelete
  13. i saw some of these movies! i loved water for elephants! i didn't expect much either at first, but as it was playing while i was in the plane i watched it and i really like it, but to be honest i usually love romantic movies :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I saw Kung Fu Panda 2 and it was pretty good, much better than the original.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great reviews Aki! I haven't seen some of these. Very interested in seeing Friends with Benefits. I did see J. Edgar. At first you may be put off by how Leonardo DiCaprio looks, but stick with it. It's a really good movie.
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love love loved Sherlock Holmes ♥ Amazing movie, not as good as the books, but hey, it features Jude Law!

    You should def go see The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo! I thought it was simply amazing, great movie!

    Xo, Imke

    ReplyDelete
  17. And thank you for your amazing comment, it really helped! Def taking your advice dear (:

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow you've been busy,you've watched alot of films. Theres nothing better than to chill out and watch a good film.I havent seen any of these, Paul looks scary enough for me :D let alone Friday Night.

    Thanks so much for your extrememly lovely comment,it meant alot,urban outfitters i love them,would be amazing to design for them one day x

    ReplyDelete
  19. I haven't seen any of these films which is quite shameful! I really want to watch 'friends with benefits'! :)

    Caroline x
    carolinescatwalk.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. I loved 'Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows'. Downey Jr and Jared Harris were excellent as Holmes and Moriarty.

    Check out my review .

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!