Tuesday, February 14

Fandom

I write what I please in this blog. I mean, I care about what everyone thinks, of course, but I also care about myself. Though I'm not a great writer, I greatly appreciate its place it my life. If I write it down, then it's out of my mind.

You know that feeling when you're thinking about a to-do list? Thoughts are spinning in your head and you're trying to hold on to them. The list keeps on growing longer and you forget something. Then you remember it. Then forget something else. You're not even sure if you've forgotten something. Writing things down helps. I literally move an item from my brain to a piece of paper, where I know it'll stay safe. I can refer to it again at any time. It's not going to go anywhere so I've freed up my mind to think about other things.

It's like that with all of my thoughts. There's one thought in particular that I've been thinking about. It's fandom.


via weheartit
What is fandom?

Merriam-Webster defines it as 1. all the fans, 2. the state or attitude of begin a fan.

Wikipedia describes it as "term used to refer to a subculture composed of fans characterized by a feeling of sympathy and camaraderie with others who share a common interest."

The highest rated Urban Dictionary entry says it is "The community that surrounds a tv show/movie/book etc. Fanfiction writers, artists, poets, and cosplayers are all members of that fandom. Fandoms often consist of message boards, livejournal communities, and people."


So, that's fandom: fans of something.

But fandom is so important to me. If this comes off as really pathetic, it's okay. Don't pity me, I'm enjoying my life. The television show or movie or book is just a starting point for something much more impressive. Like the definitions explain, it's a community.

I meet people though fandom... amazing people. These individuals have such incredible talent in drawing and writing and knitting and sewing and baking. They can express their interests though ways that I haven't even dreamed of. They inspire me. It's a group of people I can communicate with using the secret language of the fandom. I can find entire conversations where the only form of communication is references to minute details... details that a fan would know. Details that EVERY fan knows. It's like being a part of a club.

There's no doubt that people spend money because they're part of a fandom. People spend effort and time to catch up on the latest everything. Fans can follow actors and writers to the point where it's unhealthy. But it's different for everyone. What joins people is the passion that drives them.

That's what it means to me. It's a reason for wanting to do the best I can do. Stupid things like looking forward to The Hobbit in December and Star Trek next summer make me happy. It makes me excited. And I'm not sure how much of a exaggeration this is, but it gives me a reason for being. Fandom, will you be my Valentine?

20 comments:

  1. I so get you with this! It's good to have "fandom" and get excited over things. I'm the same way with different movies. Well, we do share Harry Potter fandom! haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have so many misplaced emotions and excitement about fandom. And I love Harry Potter!

      Delete
  2. Nothing wrong with a good fandom! It makes it so much easier to fit in with people when you find a common interest... obsession... whichever. My own current obsession is Hunger Games. I can't wait for the movie and have been reading everything I can about it. I probably should also re-read the first book so I remember where it starts/ends (it all gets mushed together when you read the series, I don't remember where book 1 ends and book 2 starts)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not into the Hunger Games, but I do know that that's the it thing going around right now!

      Delete
  3. nothing stupid or pathetic in this girl...i am such a trivia hunter.and i had no idea i was one till a friend pointed it out to me..it is a community,a sense of belonging..of loving something passionately..of remembering something that ties us all together.
    fandom \m/

    ReplyDelete
  4. hope you had a great valentine's. there's nothing stupid about looking forward to movies, you know!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You were telling me about this post, and I think it turned out fabulously. Personally, my favorite is John Green's definition of fans: "people who really like things and aren't afraid to show it."

    Also, I'm totally completely 100% right there with you on loving fandom. It means so much to me and I feel like I would be a much more boring person without it. Twinsies, haha.

    p.s. omg I need that shirt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i dont think i ever got into fandom....except for when i was 13 and was convinced i could marry eminem

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't really think I've ever gotten into the whole fandom aspect...and I always find interesting topics to read on your blog... I did scroll down, and I haven't ventured to tumblr yet but I do have twitter, and I love IT!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Way cute post! Fandom is an interesting subject that is for sure!
    xx

    Hot Pink Day
    Shop Blue Vanilla

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post! I'm definitely a victim of various fandom bases! haha

    xo Gillie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nothing stupid about looking forward to something :)
    Happy belated vday!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I feel the same way when I write! Of course this is your blog and you can say what you want!

    XoXo
    Plami

    http://www.fashionthrill.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. I do the same thing when I blog - it's supposed to be what you want!

    ReplyDelete
  13. aki!, you & your writing is a treasure. my friend only recently explained the terms "fanboy", & "fangirl", to me. i only thought it was the title of that funny movie. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I try to switch up my blog with a lot of subjects.

      Delete
  14. Fandom is funny haha everyone's gotta be a fan of something somewhen in life..I have had fangirl moments too! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I feel the same way! I think fandom is a great way to meet people and to connect with others :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. My very BEST friend EVER was met through fandom. Waaay back when, a little cult show called The Sentinel was cancelled, and the final episode was *supposed* to be the first half of a two-parter. It left one of the two main characters *dead*, even. Fans erupted. We wrote letters, we made phone calls, we had fund raising to keep some main supporters able to actually travel and talk in person with the producers. We succeeded, and we got a fourth season (which ended with a MUCH better finale, we all agreed.) So a group of people in the Dallas area made plans to watch the season four opener together at one fan's house. A person I'd never met, but who lived close to me, asked for a carpool to get to the get-together (because it was an hour out of town and she wasn't looking forward to driving somewhere she'd never been alone). And today, THIRTEEN years later and a state away, we both work at the same University and we're the best friends ever.

    Online Fandom has seen me through a nervous breakdown, rebuilding my sense of self, a divorce, the death of my two firstborn in a car accident, and generally a decade and a half of ups, downs, hell and heaven in this life. And to think it all started by me being bored one day and discovering Highlander fanfiction! ^_^ I've found a best friend, a girlfriend (two different people there ;), broke up with a girlfriend, performed a wedding ceremony, and have friends ALL OVER THE WORLD that I would never have known without fandom.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!