Tuesday, March 27

Cajun Food

Before this meal, I don't think I've never had Cajun food before. I heard about Cajun food..but I didn't know people made it here. I thought it was only available in the south. Not true. A friend took me to Baby Kay's Cajun Kitchen to experience Cajun food for the first time. It's a very small, unassuming place but it had such a warm atmosphere. Live music made it perfect. 


We got some blurry steamed vegetables to eat. They had little pepper flakes on them which I thought was very in theme. Other than that, they were average.


 We also got chicken gumbo. At first, I thought the jambalaya and gumbo was a soup and rice dish that you were supposed to mix together. That's not true. This was the perfect amount of hot spicy and incredibly flavorful. I was hooked. 



The even hotter jambalaya closed the deal. I'm Asian, so it's no surprise that I love rice... but I really love this type of rice. The pieces of sausage here were great. One of the things that I really can't get over about the meal was how new everything was. I had never had these tastes in my mouth and I was absolutely in love. 


We also got mashed potatoes that were good. They were really creamy, and again, flavorful, but not the highlight of my meal.


I'm not sure why the picture of the bread is last because I'm pretty sure that was consumed first. The bread was alright, a bit too crunchy for my likes but I really cleaned up the gumbo with this. Guess bread + soup is a good combination for any culture. 

Overall, I think this was a great restaurant, but more than that, I am inexplicably happy that I found Cajun food.

29 comments:

  1. yummm, it all looks so delicious! I love cajun food so much, I am glad you have discovered it too :-)

    Mal @ The Chic Geek

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even though I don't live too terribly far from Louisiana, I've never had Cajun food. There's not even many resturants with any kind of Cajun basis. They might have a Cajun branded dish or two on the menu but that's it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I miss new Orleans!best food ever

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never been there! I know I've got to go!

      Delete
  4. Ohhh my all these food look delish! Wish they would have Cajun food in England, I really wanna try these!

    I'm following you now :) Check my blog out? :3
    annaracaza.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. i have never had cajun food..the spread looks so awesome.i had a bad dinner and i am so hungry now that i want to reach into the pc screen and grab this fooo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That pic of the gumbo has me drooling, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I love canjun food especially in new orleans area. drooling over the food, not good for the waistline.hhaha

    ReplyDelete
  8. i looove cajun food!!! the gumbo looks so delicious. love the spices & spicy flavors of cajun. it's hard to find a good one around where i live. not too common i guess =[

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The flavor! That part just kills me because I'm not used to rice having so much flavor!

      Delete
  9. I have tried this kind of food before, when I was living in the states precisely, bu I am not that into it....
    But maybe I went to the wrong restaurant 'cause I didn't have any of these...
    Don't Call Me Fashion Blogger
    Facebook
    Bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
  10. i love cajun food! this all looks so yum!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum, they all look so delicious! They made me hungry!!:) Kisses and thanks for dropping in!:) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love Cajun food! The gumbo looks so yummy!!!

    Jayme @ Her Late Night Cravings

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'd never try Cajun food before, but hearing it from you and the photos made me really want to search for a restaurant that offers them! Hope I can I find one! And thank you for you kind words an support on my previous post!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cajun food done right is spicy and oh so delish! Spicy is DEFINITELY the way to go +rice :)

    ♥ laura
    the blog of worldly delights
    the shop of worldly delights

    ReplyDelete
  15. yummy yummy :)

    http://www.ohmydior.org/

    ReplyDelete
  16. ooh la la everything looks soooo delicious :D

    katslovefashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. ok this post has made my stomach start to grumble! YUM! that bread looks mouth-wateringly good, and that rice dish looks yummy too.


    The House of Shoes

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've never had Cajun food either, but from looking at your pictures the dishes look exactly like my kind of food lol. LOVE spicy and flavoursome soups...and some steamed vegies and rice to balance everything out! looks like the restaurant was a great find :)

    metallicpaws.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rice was actually really quite spicy too! But I know what you mean. A "balanced" meal.

      Delete
  19. They surely look YUMMMMM!!! Lovely and inspiring post as always! ;) Keep your inspiring, lovely!

    Love,
    MLU the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  20. the food looks so delicious!
    X

    ReplyDelete
  21. Girl, you should come to New Orleans! We make gumbo and jambalaya that would have your head turning. HaHaHa
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  22. This all looks delicious - I've tried some Cajun dishes and loved the flavours.
    Thanks for your comment about Van Gogh Alive - it's in Istanbul until May I think then Ankara but I'm sure it will go to other countries.
    http://missbbobochic.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow. I've never ad Cajun food and all the looks so delicious...

    ReplyDelete
  24. the food looks so good. i need to add some more cajun to my meals.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!