Saturday, June 23

Guide to Scenting Your Home With Tarts: Part 1 - Tarts

This past Spring, I got really into candles. I had a period in my life when I really loved candles before, but I was constantly burning them and the smoke of snuffing them out really got to me. This spring, I got back into it all but instead of burning candles, I started melting tarts. What's that's you say? Let me explain. 

A tart is a candle... pretty much. Whereas candles are meant to be burned, tarts are smaller and meant to me melted. This means that they are often made without a wick and have a heavier scent. Let's go to etsy for some examples. 

This is a candle like we're all used to seeing. You can get jar candles anywhere. They're probably at your local Dollar Store for a dollar, your grocery store from $5-10, and of course Yankee Candle and Bath and Body Works for $3-30. High end jar candles can cost up to $50. 

via candlekraze

These next ones are breakaway tarts/clamshell tarts. They're sold in packs of 6-9 cubes and you're meant to break out each cube with use. You can find these online as well as Walmart, where they have an affordable candle line. You'll need to watch the weight with these. They generally weight anywhere from 2.5 ounces to 4 ounces and can cost anywhere from $3 to $6. Make sure the quality is good if it's a low weight for a high price. 

via Delightful Scents

These are scent shots. Each of them are a tart that comes in a small "shot" glass. You generally see these containers holding sauce or something. These shots can start at $1 to $3 depending on size. They can hold anywhere from 1.5 ounces to 3 ounces. If you want to try out a new store or some scents in a new store, this is so the way to go! I've never really seen these anywhere but online. 


via Sweet Fixations
Other than the breakaway tarts/clamshell tarts, you'll most often find tarts in this form. Just a little piece of wax in a certain shape. Sometimes they're sold individually, other times in packs of 2-6. I think it's generally worth it to pay $1 - $2 per tart (multiply accordingly for however many is in a package). Bath and Body Works do not sell these tarts but Yankee Candle does. In addition, they're available all over the internet!


via nikkicandles
Lastly, tarts come in funny little shaped. I've seen cookies, cakes, brownies, doughnuts, strawberries and blueberries. Somehow, these amazing tart creators can not only make wax smell like all these delicious item,s they can make wax look like these amazing items as well. These tarts are a bit more expensive than average, but they're usually very large and extremely cute. I've seen them go for $5 to $25 but they can be about as large as a real slice of cake. I have only seen these online as well. The more extravagant ones are on Etsy while plainer ones can be purchased from any candle maker. 


via Candle Confectionary
If you're into reading reviews for tarts, there's basically two things you want to watch for. Burn times and throw. Burn time is pretty self explanatory. It's basically how long you can burn (or melt) the tart for. Leave questions if you have 'em!

19 comments:

  1. ahhhh i've been burning the wrong types of candles all along! i got these supposedly nice smelling candles, but whenever i burn them all i smell is the thick heavy smoke and nothing of which it's supposed to smell like, and ended up making my smoke alarm go off. didn't know i had to get the melting type. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gross! I think that has something to do with the kind of wick and the type of wax!

      Delete
  2. omg how come I didn't know about these before?? These are awesome! I have a few candles, but my least favorite part is the burnt smell. I started using the scents with the liquid and the sticks (I don't know the proper name of them...) but I've been liking those because I don't have to deal with the smokiness. These are a great alternative!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reed diffusers! I have never used those because they've always been really expensive.

      Delete
  3. Ahh Aki these sound soooooo much better and healthier than candles!! I actually have this thing with candles where I love them but rarely use them as am sure the smoke etc isn't good for you - hellooooo tarts! I'm off to Etsy to buy some now. P.s Thank you for your most recent comment I really smiled at it - I totally agree though and in fact think the hardest advice to hear is your own advice...but you know what, we really ARE ok :)

    Anna xo
    http://www.lifesshinyprettythings.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  4. If it was up to Mr. A, we would have these all over the house. He absolutely loves them.

    http://www.glamkittenslitterbox.com/
    Twitter: @GlamKitten88

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow, they look awesome and they must sleep awesome! Gotta find these in UK!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fabulous alternative Aki! I didn't know about Tarts! I will definitely have to look into this. I much rather melting than burning. Plus they seem easier to handle than large jar candles. Thanks for the suggestion!
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. ahhh these are so cute! have never heard of them before so interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. omg, how did I not know about these. Too cute. Obsessed. Fabulous post, love. If you get a sec I'd love to hear your thoughts on my interview for College Lifestyles magazine. xo

    www.fashboulevard.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. ah I love candles too. a lovely scent makes a home feel so much more pleasant! :)

    metallicpaws.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. but, how do you melt a tart???? lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. these seem awesome!i love scented candles but don't indulge in them much.

    ReplyDelete
  12. seems like a great alternative to candles.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love candle tarts or we just call them 'melts' here. Those cookie shaped ones are a tad worrying though haha.

    Thanks for the comment!
    XXASAB
    Newest post: New Designs: Prints

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why is the cookie one worrying?

      Delete
  14. Pretty pictures! Makes me hungry :)

    xo,
    Courtney
    http://girlavantgarde.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!