Saturday, July 21

China Recap: Part 2 - Scenes around Beijing

After Shanghai, I went to Beijing. I'll be separating my trip here into the where and the food. This post includes scenes around Beijing.


This is where my uncle works. He's in the basement of a hospital that still has these military style bunker doors. 

This is a small street or hutong in Beijing. You see that car driving into the street? I have so much respect for that driver because I have no idea what they're gonna do if another car decides to go in. Having this be one way roads would make more sense... but Chinese people live life on the wild side. 

This is the little hutong where I live. That man sitting on the side of the street owns a noodle shop. He's known me since I was 6 months old. And I have no idea who he is. I have so many relationships like this China. 

This is another angle of the same street. I had to take a picture because I realized that though my family has lived there for more than 20 years, the only pictures I have of it are from infancy. 

Isn't this eerie? This is a college that's on the way to the park. It's an old structure that looks out of place among iphones. But then again, what else is China but a mix of the very old and the very new?

This is ... a lake. It's very pretty and during the day there are a ton of paddleboats out. Those lights in the distance are bars  made for foreigners.

I know I look derpy. I had my little cousin take some pictures of me eating some candied haw fruits (one of my favorite snacks) and this is what I got. In Chinese, or specifically, Beijing slang, he called this "er" or two. Two means stupid and that's how I look in this picture. Without my face, you never would have learned that valuable piece of culture. 

Another shot of the lake. After I got done eating, my cousin wanted to throw the stick in the lake.  I wouldn't let him. 

28 comments:

  1. Those streets would scare me driving, too. I have some like that near my house and once someone DID come the other way! I'm a terrible backer-upper, so it was intense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a showdown of epic proportions.

      Delete
  2. I love seeing these pics from your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing with us your "adventures" in Beijing. I've read about how recklessly the Chinese in China drive. It is very considerate of you to have stopped your cousin from throwing the stick into the lake. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think he was mostly kidding, but at the same time I have no doubts that he would have done it.

      Delete
  4. great pictures, my brother went to china for a couple of weeks and it looked amazing!!

    -Jessica
    http://runninginsideus.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice photos..I really want to visit China again, especially Beijing or Shanghai!
    when I went to HK there were a lot of people who have known me when I was very young too lol but I don't remember them

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think I could work in a basement like that

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww I miss Beijing! I stopped by there briefly when I went to China in 2000, but we were only around the Great Wall area. I really want to go back soon though ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want to visit China as well, seems such an interesting country! And the lipstick I was wearing on that look was Mademoislle from Rouge Coco (Chanel)

    XO, Imke

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much for posting these pictures!! I'm loving that I'm learning a different side to Beijing :)

    P.S. I got the Anjolee earrings today and they are GORGEOUS :) Thanks again!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for showing us some photos of Beijing from someone who really knows the city. I've only been there as a tourist but it's great to see the small things that are overlooked!
    :)
    Allison

    P.S. I'm having an INTERNATIONAL $75 Shopbop giveaway on my blog, so don't forget to enter! :)
    A's Fashion Files
    $75 Shopbop Giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  11. i love these photos, so interesting! i really love beijing and the shopping places, bet you had lots of fun there ;) xx

    Letters To Juliet

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, those doors really are crazy bunker-like. It looks kind of creepy, but I get scared easily so ... :)

    http://www.glamkittenslitterbox.com/
    Twitter: @GlamKitten88

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would hate, hate, hate to be locked there. On the other hand, good for a zombie invasion?

      Delete
  13. I've never been to Bejing but it looks really interesting! cool photos, definitely intriuging!
    xx
    If you have a free moment I would so appreciate if you could check out my new post!




    The Urban Umbrella

    xoxo



    http://www.theurbanumbrella.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. you look fine on that pic, don't you worry! :) and such peaceful lake!

    -Hazel
    http://dressmeupbuttercup.tumblr.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great post: I like these pictures so much!!
    What about following each other? Cosa mi metto???
    Win a pair of custom denim shorts by Khojo Vintage!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. very interesting. the old comunist architecture is one and the same in all countries. we have the same old buildings and streets here...
    ExCurlyThoughts
    FACEBOOK
    BlogLovin

    ReplyDelete
  18. aki, those narrow streets are killing me. omg'd there's no room for error. i love the old architecture. there's so much history and culture in beijing. your facial expression is priceless! hahaha thanks for sharing these pics. truly interesting! i love seeing other countries.
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love seeing these pictures! Thank you for stopping by, I'd love for us to follow each other and keep in touch! :)

    xo, Yi-chia
    Always Maylee

    ReplyDelete
  20. China's deff on my list of countries I have to visit some day, ever since I saw those beautiful places on the olympics a few years ago, I like what you said about it having the perfect mixture of tradition and modernity! Also, thanks so much fo your advice about podcasts, it was amazing for my stay at home in bed days, but thank goodness I'm all better now! (:

    xx
    E

    http://byebye-blondie.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  21. love this post..i think it's cool you got to take that picture..come to think of it even i dont have pics of me at my current age around the house i was born in..

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!