Saturday, July 28

China Recap: Part 3 - The Food in Beijing

One of the things I love about going back to China is the food. ...Duh.


This is called a Bei Jing Yang. I don't really know if that's the name of the company or the drink. It's like orange fizz. Nothing too special, I suppose. 

That says prune juice which sounds totally gross but it's my most favoritest drink. It's sweet and tart and basically the best thing ever. 

Glorious, glorious food. That pile of meat on sticks is lamb kabobs, the most delicious meat known to man. Except for the bottom left plate of sweet tasting chicken. The green stuff in the center is bitter melon--not meant for human consumption. Towards the right bottom is shrimp, fairly decent but pales in comparison to some other stuff. 

Do you see the amount of seasoning and spice they put on that? I want some so badly right now!

This is nai lao. Or... I guess the best way to describe it is baked milk. My mother tried to buy the recipe off the chain store and now she thinks she can make this. But she can't. It has a jello consistency and is refreshing, sweet and cool. 

Red bean soup. This is sometimes eaten as porridge, as a meal and other times as a dessert if you empty a jar of sugar in it. Behind it is baozi or steamed buns. They are no less than a thousand kinds of amazing. 

This is an oh-so-unflattering picture of me. It's not even candid. And I have my eyes closed. You guys may not know this, but I have my eyes closed for 80% of the pictures I take. Needless to say, I ruin a lot of group shots. Anyways, this is a teppanyaki place. It's Japanese themed and uses an iron girdle to cook food. The chefs try to be showy about it but I think they're all very tired. They don't have a moment's rest. 

 I ordered a huge coconut boba and it came in a curvy glass. I love things served in curvy glasses. 

Here's the food, uncooked. Some veggies, some marbled meat with enoki mushrooms. Stuff that you can't see very well include bacon with pineapple and curried beef. 

Here are the veggies. Nothing too special but a nice break from all the meat. 

Marbled beef + mushrooms. I was so surprised at how cheap the meat was. Each dish, albeit small, was only about three to four dollars. 

Curried beef. I found the flavor here way too strong. It's interesting to see Chinese take on foreign food and America's take on foreign food. 




31 comments:

  1. some yummy food shots!!!

    http://sushmita-smile.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I laughed at the part about your mom trying to buy the recipe for nai lao off a store. It looks tasty, though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm already hungry (waiting for dinner), and you are not helping! ;) Everything looks delicious, especially those steamed buns. The food is always one of my favorite parts about traveling out of the country. I just got back from Israel where I ate my fill of falafel and chocolate Bamba, which is basically peanut butter flavored cheetos filled with chocolate, and it's so freaking good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love being introduced to new cultures of food where something so normal for me is weird for them and vice versa.

      Delete
  4. Food overthere looks soooo different to what we eat here! i'd love to try it one day though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. omg looks so yummyyyyyy nom nom

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want to eat everything here. And I love fancy drinks in curvy glasses too!

    *Erin

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wasn't a fan of the food in Beijing to be honest! I'm glad you had better experiences though!
    :)
    Allison

    P.S. I'm having an INTERNATIONAL $75 Shopbop giveaway on my blog, so don't forget to enter! :)
    A's Fashion Files
    $75 Shopbop Giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  8. everything must be very good!:) kisses!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm surprised how different the food is in China compared to Hong Kong. Would love to visit Beijing one day... but my parents tell me horror stories of how they put all sorts of crap in food in China that are toxic or something and kinda off putting lol but the food does look yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it depends on where you go and how you get it. There are horror stories out there though!

      Delete
  10. Mmmm mmm, food looks pretty darn good. We've tried to find nai lao in the States and surprisingly, some places do carry it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reeeeeeally? I wonder why I've never been able to find any.

      Delete
  11. oh em gee, so much food! I haven't had lamb skewers in forever! And now I want a boba. Bad.
    ♥ laura
    the blog of worldly delights
    the shop of worldly delights

    ReplyDelete
  12. The food looks amazing! Its making me drool! hahaha I just visited in Jan. It was sooo cold and snowing! haha but now its sooooo hot! Really like you're blog, gona start following =)

    <3 Kelly
    SavvySelections.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, that is certainly a lot of food! I can't believe how much you ate. Did you really eat alllll of it??? I would have popped!

    http://www.glamkittenslitterbox.com/
    Twitter: @GlamKitten88

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow all the food is absolutely amazing! And I'm a fan of that prune juice too - they have a soda version that I love :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Everything looked so good...I wouldn't mind having some of everything right now

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh man, I just had supper and I'm so hungry looking at all the photos of good food here! lol.

    Fang Ting
    ftashion

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love chinese food soooo much! lol
    Thanks for sharing, I having dinner at Panda Express tonight.
    Always,
    Tarah and the City

    ReplyDelete
  18. Drooooool... My ears perked up when I read the word "food" in your post title - isn't that weird?? I'm fascinated by the baked milk. Will have to ask my mom about this. Your drinks are making me thirsty, haha

    ReplyDelete
  19. Aki, this is foodie HEAVEN! hahaha they really give large portions too. there's no way you can walk away still hungry. i'm loving all the drinks too. you look great in that pic! :D
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  20. omg, you're making me soooo hungry! i actually like bitter melon, though can totally understand why people do NOT like it! that prune drink sounds interesting.

    http://spinning-threads.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yum looks great, with the exception of that spoonful of black stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yum! I'm leery if chicken unless it is all white meat.

    ReplyDelete
  23. ohh wow now i'm craving for asian food :D

    ReplyDelete
  24. ok i am salivating!the stuff looks delicious..

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!