Saturday, August 25

College Advice for College Seniors - From a College Graduate

This is the last in my series of advice for college, from a college graduate. I've made a ton of assumptions and this is only based on my personal conditions/values. Check out College Advice for College Freshmen - From a Graduate and College Advice for High School Seniors - From a Graduate

In my last post, Kim reminded me to talk about personal financial debt--an area I totally forgot about. Whether it's your parents' money or your money, spend wisely. This applies especially if it's loan money! If you're not careful, you can get into a lot of trouble with student loans. Defer payment, yes, but don't take 'em out because everyone else is. I don't have a ton of advice on this, but I bet your school has counselors with more experience.


Now, this guide is for college seniors. You've made it through 4 (or more? ...or maybe less) years of college. Where do you go from now? I myself just graduated and so I really can't give you advice as much as thinking out a few of your options. 

via knowyourmeme

Graduate School?

Graduate School is expensive and it's not necessary for every career, but this depends on a career by career basis. First, here's the wrong reason to go to graduate school--to delay working. If you can't find a job or would rather continue the familiar than work, going to Graduate School may not be the best idea. Are you waiting for the economy to get better or is that an excuse? Through the years I've seen that as such a common excuse (and used it myself). Secondly, if you're in a career where a graduate degree is necessary for future advancement, going to school right afterwards might be a good idea so you can get it out of the way. 

Start your Career?

I feel like a lot of students who aren't good at school escape into this option as well. While some of those who choose graduate school may want to delay work and keep at what they're good at, those who want to start their career could be trying something new because they know that they're not good at school. Unlike school, starting your career won't land you in debt but it might force you to return to school at a more inconvenient time in your life when you realize you need advance degrees for a promotion. Your bachelor's degree not only limits your upward mobility, it also limits the breadth of options. 

Get a Job?

A job means employment, but not quite the start of your career in your chosen field. In my opinion, a job is the best way to bridge a gap when you're not sure what you want to do (in terms of more school or starting a career). You earn money and support yourself while figuring things out! I think opportunities like the Peace Corp and Teach for America fit in this category. 

I know, that's such a short list! Anyone have any ideas about what you can do after graduating? I'm sure I missed a ton! 

15 comments:

  1. This is all fantastic advice! I teach high school and I ALWAYS tell my students that they need to watch their money in college.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My parents have been pressuring me to go to grad school since I graduated last year and hadn't been able to find a job. I didn't want to though, and I felt a little better when the director of an education program gave me the same advice that you have on going to grad school! She said that only a small percentage of careers actually require a graduate degree, and that going to grad school simply because you can't find a job isn't really a good idea. This is a very important topic, and I'm glad you pointed that out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have really some cute advice. I am not yet in my final year but I think I will still be lost by then! :D

    Btw I would like to invite you to this new Bloggers Against Social Injustice network!

    Play your part, join us and worldwide bloggers to take a stand against social injustices!

    You can join the Bloggers Against Social Injustice network today & help us make a difference for those whose voices are not being heard!

    There are different events Bloggers Against Social Injustice hosts to help educate and fund change to help end atrocities like sex trafficking (AKA slavery!) but to really turn heads, we need your help!

    I really hope to see you there.It's just a click away and you can make this world a better place.

    * We have GFC, bloglovin, twitter and FACEBOOK too! ^_^ *

    Check the website out today @ http://bloggersagainstsocialinjustice.blogspot.com

    Cassandra
    backtofive
    Bloggers Against Social Injustice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hope you won't be lost by then! Lost is not a fun place to be!

      Delete
  4. Awesome blog, honey)))
    you have a new follower! I hope you'll do the same))
    Thank you!))

    http://myfiercefashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just started my senior year of college and I really don't want to go to grad school (although I'm good at school) and it's really not necessary for the career I want, which is PR and marketing. However, my mom is pushing me like crazy to do it "because it's so hard to go back and do it later." UGH. haha.

    ~Jacy

    www.laviedelenore.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you don't need it, you don't need it now or later!

      Delete
  6. Um -- Grad school sucks. Just my opinion. It was necessary for me to get my Masters because a Bachelors in English doesn't go very far, but grad school is still hell.

    http://www.glamkittenslitterbox.com/
    Twitter: @GlamKitten88

    ReplyDelete
  7. ugh curse student loans haha
    -Jessica
    http://www.jumpintopuddles.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I definitely had to take out student loans. It's not fun, but it helped me get through school. I'll probably be paying it for the next century, but grateful that it helped me out during those poorer days!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great advice. I didn't go to college, I am just working right now and honestly I wish I had jumped back into school - it feels scary now to leave a pay cheque!

    xoxo Bree
    The Urban Umbrella

    http://www.theurbanumbrella.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh this is such wonderful advice. I share the same sentiments about grad school and starting your career (straight after school). It really depends between people though as some actually need to take that extra course for certain positions, but for myself I don't think I need any more uni after having acquired a commerce degree and about to finish a law degree. It's already been almost 5 years and I feel like I'm wasting away my life in academics and not working! I'd rather just work now in a company and work my way up slowly to better positions. Maybe that's just my impatience talking...I always feel like I'm wasting too much of my parents' money on school and taking too long to start earning! xD

    metallicpaws.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I absolutely understand. I think it's part of the reason I don't want to pursue any further education.

      Delete
  11. Going to grad school would be great, and if I could have it any way I wanted, that would probably be my first choice. But then there's all the fees to think about, and also the question of whether it is really necessary and if i'm not just wasting my time. It's definitely a difficult decision to make, especially since there's more than one good option.

    Anna @ FEED ME NANA xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is great. I'm about to graduate and since I'm an older graduate, I feel more pushed towards the "begin your career" goal but at the same time, I'm pushed also towards the "support yourself however" goal. I agree that getting a job or staying with the one you're at is the best idea. You can always work towards your career outside of a job or two, and it's HARD, and it's exhausting, but as the economy sucks, hard work is the only thing that will ever get anyone anywhere anyway, right?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!