Thursday, August 9

College Advice for High School Seniors - From a Graduate

I've been seeing a lot of college advice for you undergrads and I really feel like putting in my 2 cents since I've graduated. This is by no means an end all list of advice but my personal experience. I highly value education, come from a well educated upper middle class family and am pragmatic. 
via weheartit
I'm going to be a high school senior... do I really want to go to College? 

Congrats on passing junior year! As far as attending University goes, make sure higher education is right for you. I have many friends who wasted four years at a University or community college, some who dropped out, and others who are continuing to pour in money and time when they don't really know what they want to do. Just because all your friends are going to University doesn't mean you have to as well. If you need time to figure things out, take it. Now, when I say figure things out, I mean take a job or try an internship or a vocation of some sort. Seriously think things through if you want to spend a year backpacking through Europe on your parent's dime. 

I'm definitely going to College!

Are you? Do you want to aim for a prestigious Ivy League school? A public school? A private school? A liberal school? A religious school? A community college? (And if so, 2 year or 4 year?) They say you don't have to declare a major until you're a sophomore, but if you're anything like me, you plan and plan and plan. College is the time of many changes, so be flexible with that plan! Do your research here. Think about your future career (and if you have no idea what you want to do, think about your future lifestyle). How long do you want your hours? Do you want to travel? Words or numbers or both? Are you more left brain or right brain? Take this time not only to study what each college is known for (a quick degree program, cost effective, a strong research facility, or a good arts program). Talk to the recruiters, visit the school, meet the students. Honestly, if there's one thing I really wished I did in high school, it was this step. I felt so foolish when I realized that everyone else had taken this decision more seriously than I. While the US News and World Report is a fantastic guide, it is not a substitute for communication. 

Okay, okay, but how do I get in? 

Erm... In a way, I was groomed to get into a good college from middle school. My parents enrolled me in SAT classes when I was in the 7th grade. But did it help? Not at all. While you need to prepare early, ultimately, you need at least 2 of the following: 1. Good grades. Colleges definitely look at your GPA! 2. Social/Community Involvement. Sports teams (or speech and debate team, in my case), volunteering, academic decathlon are all important. Start clubs, or if not, try to be on the executive board. 3. Good SAT scores. 

I won't give you too much on this because not only is it the job of your high school counselors to help you apply, there are also professionals you can hire to look over your resumes,  personal statements and general application. 

Ask me any questions you wish and feel free to disagree with me as well! I'd love to know your thoughts. If you have more advice, I'll compile it into another post!

13 comments:

  1. Great advice; I wish I had had this when I was in hs!

    Another thing I would add is being well rounded. Next to good grades and community/social involvement, colleges (especially liberal arts colleges) look for students who are well rounded in interests and activities, as this shows that they are willing to explore new things, both academically and in life. As a first generation college student, I beat all odds by getting into a top university partly because the admissions people were impressed with my range of clubs and courses that I had taken in hs. It also helps to have a well organized application and portfolio!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi dear!:) nice advices dear, Im sure they will be so useful for High School Seniors:) KISSES!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really good advise. Interesting to know others' opinion on college.

    ReplyDelete
  4. lovely post!
    xo
    Anastasia
    http://natbeesfashion.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  5. i think the 1st advice is the most valuable of the lot!so many people don't get it that going to uni is not the answer to i-haven't-yet-decided-what-i-want syndrome..doesn't help and you feel miserable all through!

    ReplyDelete
  6. great post.
    http://rock4less.blogspot.co.uk/
    ve a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love college more than I loved high school. May sounds geeky, but college is a challenge, whereas high school was boring. But either way, thank you for posting this, interesting to read!

    XO, Imke

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought high school and college both had its challenges. I don't know which one I liked more...

      Delete
  8. I loved college and university more c:

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. US schools sounds so complicated :P Very useful advice!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved this post! I wish I had this advice back when I was a high school senior lol.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love it!
    follow each other?ummm?yes no?
    yours truly, L.
    http://fashion-babel.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!