Saturday, August 18

Gamer Galore in Shanghai and Japanese Food in China

I don't know if I've never told you guys, but ever since watching Wil Wheaton's Tabletop I've been obsessed with board games. I've always like Sorry, Monopoly and Candyland but I've recently discovered more nerdy and less mainstream games. Does anyone play Settlers of Catan? I've been obsessed with that game. We came to this mall like place to visit a maid cafe, but I just saw so many board games advertised here.

There was a lot of this kind of gaming in addition to board games. 


A lot of manga stores as well. Basically a geek/nerd's paradise. 


This is a picture of my cousin walking into the Maid Cafe. If you don't know what a Maid Cafe is,  it's basically a cafe where the waitresses are dressed up as maids and serve you. If your first reaction is that this is a creepy concept, let me assure, it's not unless you make it so. And you're not Picard, are you? 


We ordered drinks and spent the afternoon playing Jenga. Loudly. At the maid cafe, in addition to getting drinks, they have a ton of board games, card games and an xbox. For an additional fee of one RMB a minute, maids will play a game with you. 


Pictures in maid cafes are generally not allowed unless you pay. I thought she was super cute and sweet! If you still think this restaurant is strange, just compare it to a bar where all the waitresses are wearing very low cut tops and short shorts. Each culture has their own aesthetics. 


After an afternoon in the maid cafe, we went to a relatively traditional Japanese restaurant.




We had relatively traditional Japanese foods. This was raw squid in wasabi sauce. So spicy and so delicious. 


This is a chicken heart kabob. I don't think I've ever had chicken hearts before and they were pretty good. Kinda like liver or kidney. Maybe I think all innards taste the same. 


This is pig's neck. Tastes like bacon. ...So all innards taste the same and all parts of pig taste the same?


Lastly, this is a small fishy of some kind. (As if you couldn't tell.) Overall, the day was freaking awesome and I was exposed to a ton of new environments and activities. 


34 comments:

  1. Interesting place. But I am not surprised. Shanghai has all sorts of interesting things to do. And the food, of course, looked amazing.
    Mom Fitness Journal | Beauty and Fashion in Seattle | Cheap Makeup Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice blog.^^
    Would you like to follow each other on BLOGLOVIN and GFC???
    My Blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. I heard of Japanese maid cafes, but I didn't know China had them. I'm surprised they never tried that in America.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they are in America... Just very rare.

      Delete
  4. I had never heard of this. What a great idea.

    I am having a giveaway on my blog, please stop by and enter. Sunny Days and Starry Nights

    ReplyDelete
  5. That place seems really cool and fun. I love playing Jenga. I definitely prefer board games over video games, only because I stink at video games.

    Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the idea of being able to play games in the bar!

    Caroline x
    Caroline's Catwalk

    ReplyDelete
  7. How fun :) The food looks good..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very interesting food. I could do the chicken heart kebab but not the raw squid!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. this seems like a fun experience!i agree with you on each country having having their own aesthetics..i don't see anything creepy about the waitress.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i love board games!!

    -Jessica
    http://www.jumpintopuddles.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Board games are always a fun way to liven up a night!

    xoxo Bree
    The Urban Umbrella

    http://www.theurbanumbrella.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. I LOVE board games. I am lucky enough to have a friend who is obsessed with them and does reviews on them and such. So when he gets a game he knows I'll love, he totes it over and we play for hours upon hours. So. MUCH. FUN.

    ♥ laura
    the blog of worldly delights
    the shop of worldly delights

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks awesome! It's so cool they have boardgames and stuff

    xo Sootjeelina

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great place that is! I love boardgames, me and my friends sometimes play them at parties. It's fun to do something else that the gold old Wii, haha!

    XO, Imke

    ReplyDelete
  15. Manga and games. Ahaha! So classically Japanese. Their fashion isn't really my style, but all to their own!

    http://red-soledfashionista.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! I liked looking at your food pics. :) Very nice blog. Thanks for stopping by mine and leaving a sweet comment. Like to follow each other? Let me know. :)

    xo - Sheila

    http://sheislovely1.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Aki, I can tell you enjoyed yourself! I think the concept is awesome. I've never heard of such a place before. Great food and games! Makes for a delightful time. Thanks for sharing. Great post!
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi dear, this is a really interesting post, love board games and I have never seen a place like this before nor witnessed or tasted this type of cuisine, it looks so exotic!

    ReplyDelete
  19. hello Aki, thanks for dropping by at our blog!

    great blog! would you like to follow each other?

    http://www.counttofour.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. the food sounds interesting though not completely delicious to me. i'm not sure i like chicken hearts or pig neck (though i do make soup out of it!)

    http://spinning-threads.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were much better and a lot less scary than they sound.

      Delete
  21. ah I'm from Shanghai so I love their food :) You looked so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ooh, a "new bacon"? Awesome! I love reading travel posts to see what's out there. Being pregnant / nursing for the last 4 years has really put the kibosh on traveling for me - must experience everything vicariously through others :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great Post. I follow your Blog now.
    Please follow me.
    A.

    dramaticmode.blogspot.it

    ReplyDelete
  24. This looks awesome!! You totally rock, following you now! please follow back :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm always fascinated by other cultures! PS sorry my post yesterday was confusing :(

    ReplyDelete
  26. really surprised to see maid culture has hit China.. then again not lol. Sounds like a great experience you had there.. totally missing Japanese food!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!