Thursday, August 2

Summer Reading: Featuring Science Fiction

I go through this every summer. I want to read books that I generally don't get the time to during the school year. However, this year, due to my morning commute on public transportation, I have found that lately I have the time to dedicate to reading. As such, I want to share a few books I've been reading with you in exchange for a few of your recommendations. 
via weheartit

Till We Have Faces

by CS Lewis
This book is my little brother's high school summer reading. I picked it up while it was lying unloved on a coffee table in my house and couldn't put it down. It's a retelling of the well known Greek myth of Cupid and Psyche. I'm a sucker for these stories from another point of view. If you're interested in Greek mythology, fairy tales, or the balance between a woman's professional and family life, you should read this. 

Dracula

by Bram Stroker
Does this book even need an introduction? Who hasn't heard of it? Let me assure you that this novel's place in the very beginnings of vampire fiction is well deserved. Read this if you like Vampires, obviously, but also if you're interested in horror and sick of seeing vampires depicted as sympathetic creatures. The Count is all monster here. 

The Man Who Was Thursday

by GK Chesterton
This is a spy and mystery novel from around the same era as Dracula and my other favorite book, the adventures of Sherlock Holmes. This book wasn't a hundred percent for me because parts of it focused on political activism and philosophical thought. You can read it as a thriller, but you can also read into it. Let me warn you though, the ending will infuriate you. This book is a troll. 

Cosmicomics 

by Italo Calvino
This is, quite possibly, one of the weirdest books I have ever read. It's a collection of short stories about the beginning of the world. They're kind of like myths. Though they're based in science, each story's characters are plants, or atoms, some type of being who watches the earth grow and evolve. Though these unique characters, Calvino explores romance, rivalry, and light philosophy. It's a strange reading experience in that on one hand, you're reading about gaseous matter with conscious though, and on the other, that gaseous matter is pining for a woman he'll never get and you know exactly how that feels. Read this if you like myths. 

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

By Douglas Adams
Other than Dracula, this is easily the most popular book on this list. This book as a cult following (followers are called Towelheads) and even a day dedicated to fans of this book. After reading it, I can absolutely see why. It's hilarious. Other than being laugh out loud funny, it also helped me understand why the answer to Life, the Universe, and Everything was 42. I watched the corresponding movie after I read the book, and though it was enjoyable (especially the dolphin song) I think the book is a must read. Read this if you like funny adventures. 

Though I think all of these books are for different people, let me know if you've read any, or if you are going to read any of my recommendations!

10 comments:

  1. I think Till We Have Faces sounds pretty neat. I will not be reading The Man Who Was Thursday because I don't like infuriating endings, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Id like to read Dracula, never done before!:) kisses!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Putting "Till We Have Faces" and "Dracula" on the list; read Hitchhiker before! <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Bram Stoker's Dracula book was much better than the movie. A very good read. I'm currently reading Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay. Excellent!
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been looking at the plots of movies and they all seem so screwed up!

      Delete
  5. I am probably one of the few people who actually looked forward to summer reading, especially since I always got a chance to read things that I probably wouldn't have picked on my own. My bff is a huge "Hitchhiker" fan. I've never read the book, but the movie made no sense to me, so I think I'll leave that alone! "The Man Who Was Thursday" sounds a lot like "The Agent" by Joseph Conrad, which I'm about to start reading myself. You should look into because it's also set in the early 19th century like Sherlock Holmes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The movie isn't as funny or cool if you haven't read the book! I think whoever wrote the movie did an awful job.

      Delete
  6. Aw I'm glad you have time to read! I used to be such a bookworm growing up and now I don't have as much time, but have been reading from time to time. Till We Have Faces seems like an interesting read!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a book i have wanted to read for a while..i am reading Madame Bovary right now..and The Art of Alfred Hitchcock...i will keep Till We Have Faces in my mind next time I go to the library..

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!