Tuesday, September 18

My Top 5 Career Related Nightmares

I wrote this entry while I had early morning insomnia. Edited for grammar, but forgive me if it's delusional sounding. As many of you may know, I'm heading into graduate school for tax. These are 5 possibilities of what may happen when I emerge. They are my 5 nightmares, in order from not that bad, to worst. 



5. The Slight Under Employment
This possibility probably wouldn't be that bad: I have a job when I graduate. And it's a job in my chosen field. But it's not a great job and I feel like I could be doing more with my potential. I work, but I'm constantly on the look out for new opportunities and I start building resenting my career. This is that awkward place where you have something, but you're not sure if you should let that go in return for something greater. 

4. The Internship
Here, I graduate. But I have no real employment. I'm once again, an intern. I have the same title with juniors and seniors in college who don't even have their Bachelors. And there I am, with a Masters, doing the same work. If I'm not fetching coffee for the staff, or being bored at my desk waiting for 5:00pm, I'm wondering if I will get a full time offer from this firm that I'm interning at. I'd be plagued, wondering if I should be applying at other places or just wait for an offer. I'd probably question if I choose the wrong career and if I need to go back to school for more education or a different career path altogether. 

3. The Drastic Under Employment
I have a job, but I might as well not have gone to graduate school or college for it. I could be doing the kind of work that only requires a high school diploma. Worst of all? It's probably a customer service job where I have to pretend not to hate my life. This adds insult to injury because to date, I've not worked retail or food. If I do, I want it to be because I want to.

2. The Unemployment
I'd move back in with my parents, who would hide me upstairs and tell everyone else that I'd gone to China to work. I'd look for jobs, but eventually feel and look so dejected and sad that no place would ever want to hire me. This would end with me turning into Bellatrix Lestrange, only not as cool.

1. Hating My Job
I'd have a great job lined up for when I graduate--the kind where I'm proud to share with my friends and family. I'd be excited to start my career, only to find out once I start that I hate what I'm doing. Maybe I hate the people, the work, or the hours... but I'd turn into one of those people who, when they're not at work, only complain about work. While I'd be paid enough not to want to quit my job, I'd really want to leave and wonder if all jobs are like this.

18 comments:

  1. I had these same fears when I was about to graduate. I hope things turn out good for you though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post, and I can totally relate I am graduating next year from school, and have all these worries too..

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is so much to worry about when faced with new employment. I'm lucky enough to have gotten a job before I graduated with my Masters degree, but a lot of students can't say. The only thing I can say is to go with your gut instinct, go where the wind takes you, and keep a positive attitude. It helps.

    http://www.glamkittenslitterbox.com/
    Twitter: @GlamKitten88

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't realize you were going to school for tax! I work at a CPA firm in Scottsdale. I'll keep you in mind if we are ever looking for more people. I know last tax season she hired an "intern" from ASU who was working on his masters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for keeping me in mind!

      Delete
  5. Very honest and true post. A little scary too. I totally agree with No.1. I have worked at jobs I hated. I had trouble waking up each morning. I'd rather be unemployed than to ever work a job I hate again.
    Mom Fitness Journal | Girlie Blog Seattle | Cheap Makeup Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for understanding where I'm coming from with this one!

      Delete
  6. ohmaygawd! I can totally relate on this post! I went through this and until now I am still stuck on the Top1 T__________T
    That what we call L-I-F-E...>_<

    ReplyDelete
  7. Definitely fears that I can relate to. It's pretty scary out in the world sometimes...You will be successful! <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. those all sound like totally understandable fears and worries for someone entering into grad school. It really can be a blow to your pride, where you are older than all those other high school graduates and yet you might be doing the same kind of job as them- but I hope you get through it and realise it was all worth it in the end. remember the reasons you are doing grad school in the first place! :) stay positive <3

    metallicpaws.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank so much for the encouragement.

      Delete
  9. Hrrm those are some very fair fears. I would have to say, I've experienced that "severe dislike" of my job and quit. And it's really something that I had to think over long and hard. But don't be scared - really, don't. You've got to have the faith that you can make it and conquer the challenges that life throws at you. It's part of the fun, after all

    ReplyDelete
  10. okay reading this made me nervous about my future when i post graduate...all over again!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Being in a job you hate is worse than unemployment? At the moment I'd rather have a bad job than no job at all.

    ReplyDelete
  12. i completely understand how u feel but it will all work out!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. HaHaHa! These are ALL so true! Great post Aki!
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!