Monday, November 26

My Life Is Average Monday: I made it into the the DSM.

Well, not specifically, me. I recently listened to an NPR article that revealed the DSM recently classified nailbiting as a mental disorder. It was an interesting and eyeopening article. 

You see, I've wanted to be a psychologist for a long time. I used to watch anime a lot and I'd give diagnoses to all of the characters. I'd label them depressed or say they had anxiety. I found matching symptoms to people fun. At the same time in Middle School, I really took pride in my weirdness. Combine the two and I'd give myself a lot of these same labels. I used to go around asking if I could be my own psychiatrist. 

Fast foward to some time in college, when I became a Psychology major. Whenever we learn about any mental disorders, everyone thinks they have that disorder. It's the same effect as if you're a medical or biology student learning about sicknesses or even if you're reading WebMD and learning about what all the symptoms could mean. So, long story short, when I was little, I thought I had all the mental illnesses. 
via weheartit

At the same time, I've been a chronic nail biter. I have no like when I started, but for as long as I remember, my mother has been telling me not to do it. Though I still do it, I am much better than I was before. One of the reasons is because I've been painting my nails. Compared to all the other ladies that do nail art, my nails are woefully short and stubby... but for me, this is a huge accomplishment. So, just when I'm finally dealing with my nail biting habit...I realize that it's new term is "pathological grooming" and that it's a symptom of an anxiety disorder. I recognize that I'm a pretty anxious individual, but it's still surprising that nail biting, skin picking and hair pulling (all things that I occasionally do) are now in the DSM. 

Of course, you have to do all of the above A LOT to mean you actually have an anxiety disorder. Looking at your split ends once in a while doesn't mean anything. 


Do you have any little habits? What do you think it says about you? 

20 comments:

  1. hey aki! i didn't know it was classified as a disorder. you've taught me something new. i don't really do anything excessively. sometimes when i'm thinking or in thought i bounce my legs. hahaha but that is about it. i think over time it will subside (painting your nails will help).
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well... there's a thing called restless leg syndrome, but I'm not sure if it's a real disorder. I think it's another case where it's only unhealthy in the extremes.

      Delete
  2. I can get you, Im little anxious so I got some habits too, I think the best remedy is try to calm down and keep the mind empy of worries:) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to be a terrible nail biter as well until I started applying nail polish religiously. I know now that it was a way of dealing with anxiety for me

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting... I used to pull my hair a lot...I didn't even realize I was doing it sometimes. Eventually I became more aware of it and stopped myself. Sometimes when I'm stressed I'll find my hand in my hair and remember not to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was really interesting to find out, I had no idea it was classified in this manner, I am lucky to have outgrown some of these phases.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to be such a bad nail biter, but joining the work force really put a stop to it for me. Nothing like dressing up to the nines for an important business meeting and realizing you have torn up horrible nails to make you want to change your ways!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! That's actually a horrible feeling. Perhaps I'll get better too once I work more.

      Delete
  7. nice post. as my habit it would have to be nail biting!
    xo
    MOSAMUSE

    www.MOSAMUSE.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know what you mean about WebMD, so I try to stay away from the site, seriously! I know I have bit of an obsessive behaviour but not so bad that it's OCD, fortunately. So I like to call it as just a quirk:p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. I have things like that too!

      Delete
  9. wow how interesting! i use to bite my nails o.O;

    vickyhoang.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I follow you and I hope you will reciprocate...
    http://www.5minutiearrivo.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. i am a tad ocd about some things. it drives me crazy if i see a nice beautiful cake and it's cut up horridly at a bday party lol

    ReplyDelete
  12. i took a test once that said i have severe case of seasonal depression and mild bipolar symptoms..the desrciption was pretty accurate of how i felt and reacted..i do believe i have some deep seated psychological issues that i want to consult a professional about.i have always been interested in psychology and psychiatry as my sister is autistic..i almost took up psychology but then i realised i won't be able to handle it mentally.i know this to be true that medical/biology/psych students feel like they have all the symptoms when they study about it.i never had this as i was always cautious about it,like i don't want to feel crazier than i am.
    sorry for this long post.but mental disorders is a topic close to my heart.i wish more people would actually better understand it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, thanks for the long comment!

      Psychology does require strong detachment from the patients and clients you work with. I don't think I have the ability to work in this field.

      Delete
  13. great post love so interesting to know these things :)


    Love,

    Janice
    the-fashion-milkshake.blogspot.nl

    ReplyDelete
  14. ooh, interesting article! And I'm sure we all could be classified as having some psychological disorder. Most people (myself included) are a little weird, I'd say.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This was an interesting post to read dear. I'v been an extreme nail biter as well, it was terrible, I had half of a regular nail left. Then I said to myself I would reward myself with nailpolish if I stopped, and now I have about 50 bottles of polish ;)

    Xo, Imke

    ReplyDelete
  16. thats areally interesting.. I always thought of nailbiting as a anxiety-related kind of habit as well. anyway I hope you grow out of it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!