Thursday, December 20

2012 Movie Reviews!

I did a few movie posts earlier in the year and I just thought I'd follow up. These are the movies I wanted to watch from 2011 but didn't get a chance to.
- Super 8 
- Hanna 
- Real Steel 
- Hugo 
- Colombiana 
- J. Edgar 


And these are the movies I did end up watching!
- Kung Fu Panda and Kung Fu Panda 2 - I watched Kung Fu Panda and while it was an adorable feel good movie, it did not motivate me to watch the sequel.
- The Three Musketeers - While I am a huge fan of Christopher Waltz, not even he could save this mediocre plot. Only watch this is you were very bored, like I was.
- The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - I first only watched the Swedish version. It was a fantastic story. Then, when I fell in love with Daniel Craig, I decided to watch the American version too. I thought Rapace was better in the Swedish version but Craig was better in the American version. Good movies, but overall, too emotionally draining.

And this is my list of 2012 moves that I've seen!



via weheartit
- Mirror Mirror - This is shallow, but I initially disliked this movie because Lily Collins' eyebrows really bothered me. But the movie was definitely a laugh-out-loud movie fit for the entire family. Surprisingly, I loved it.

- The Avengers - Loved! First of all, I waited for this movie forever! And it didn't disappoint. Joss Whedon did an excellent job balancing plot, character development, and big booms in this film. Tony Stark was expectantly awesome. Mark Ruffalo was unexpectantly awesome and Loki? I just love him! 

- Men in Black III - I really enjoyed the previous movies but I felt like something was missing from this one. It was still a funny action movie, but the heart of it seemed to be gone. Also, it's an alien time travel movie that draws references from a ton of pop culture... and it doesn't mention Doctor Who. 

- Snow White and the Huntsman - I thought that the two Snow White movies coming out so close to each other were sure to cannibalize sales. But they appealed to such different markets that I think they got more exposure and news coverage because of each other. Charlize Theron was excellent in this film and I really like Chris Hemsworth as well. The movie as a whole was more of a flop though. 

- Ted - I'm not a fan of Family Guy or any of Seth MacFarlane's work but I really enjoyed this movie. It was adorable and funny, tugged at my heart strings and had me laughing out loud! Go see this! 

- The Amazing Spiderman - While I admit that this wasn't the perfect movie, I love the actors in it! From Emma Stone to Andrew Garfield to the supporting cast of Rhys Ifans and Denis Leary, the cast really held everything together nicely. Oh! Embeth Davidtz was also in this film. You might remember her from Matilda. 

- Dark Knight Rises - This was a good movie, but I think at the very least, half an hour cut be cut out. Despite not being a fan of the Dark Knight movies, this was good. 

- This Means War - I watched this pretty much right after I watched the Dark Knight. I loved Tom Hardy in the dark knight, but he's charming and adorable and I wanted to keep that memory of him. So, I watched this incredibly silly rom com. This is one of those movies that I watched because it seemed like a funny action adventure. I enjoyed it even though it made little sense; you can absolutely skip this!

- The Flowers of War -This was a good movie, but such a downer! The film, which features American actor Christian Bale, is set during the Rape of Nanking. It's definitely a deeper movie that covers the subjects of innocence and morality. It disgusts you and tugs at your heartstrings all at once. 

- Looper - This was a pretty interesting movie, though the beginning of it was surprisingly grotesque. I would describe it as one part timey wimey, one part explodey wodey, and one part Bruce Willis killing babies. 

- Skyfall - Let me preface this with the fact that I'm not a huge Bond fan. At least, I wasn't before this movie. After watching it, I can totally appreciate all the classic characters (no spoilers...) and especially Q, the quartermaster, who I fell in love with during the trailer. I've really heard mixed reviews on this one, but I'd urge you to go watch it. Especially if you are not a Bond fan. 

- Brave - This was a seriously cute movie. I loved how the bears were depicted in the movie. It wasn't as amazing as Finding Nemo, perhaps but I really loved how they depicted Merida's relationship with her mother. 

The Hobbit - This is the last movie I had to review before putting out this post! I watched this in 3D IMAX to catch a glimpse of the first 9 minutes of Star Trek. I don't usually watch movies in 3D, but this was alright. I love Martin Freeman in this role (though he's typecast, he plays it well). I thought the movie was incredibly long and repetitive at parts, but it was still cool every minute. 

If I had to pick my favorite movie of the year, it would be a toss up between Avengers, Mirror Mirror and the Flowers of War. 


Did you have any movies you loved in 2012? 

22 comments:

  1. omg the last few movies you listed i havent even seen yet.. sucks for me.. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I named so many spoilers!

      Delete
  2. one of the movie I loved this year is the dark knight rises, i'm a huge fan of batman!:) kisses! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. like everyone else, I loved skyfall and I thought the Hobbit was great! I have yet to watch Brave.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfect movie reviews and quite along the lines of what I thought of most of these. Maybe it's silly, but I think that Brave was my favorite movie of the year though...the CUTEST! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it definitely suits you!

      Delete
  5. I haven seen the Hobbit..skyfall is really amazing:) Thank you for the review now I know what to watch with my christmas vacay:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. you are a tough critic indeed :P I never knew they did a Kung Fu panda 2 LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. i watched kung fu panda 2 first because i didn't like part 1 and stopped watching it midway.try and watch part2, i thought it was better.dragon tattoo books were far more interesting than either movies i felt.3 musketeers was an entertaining film and i agree with your review of it.as i do about dark knight rises and avengers..hobbit was cool regardless of the flaws and i got to feast my eyes on richard armitage,i have had a thing for him ever since i watched north & south a few years back,long before his hobbit days..loved brave also..i am not a bond fan but i have made myself watch a few due to "academic curiosity" (i can say that can't i?:P), i was highly bored with skyfall even though i love craig.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have wanted to read the Dragon Tattoo for a while... but I gave up and just watched the movies. Guessed I shouldn't.

      Delete
  8. Great reviews! I am such a great fan of Seth Macfarlane and I haven't get the chance to watch Ted :(

    http://rosalindatj.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just watched Brave - such a wonderful story. x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I watched a lot and can barely even remember my favorites! My Sister's Sister was really, really good. I saw the Black Knight Rises yesterday and was quite impressed as well. I thought the Girl with the Dragon Tatto swedish version was better.

    xx
    Sophisticated Lace

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Avengers! Omg so good, all of these movies are great too!


    -Tammy
    http://silksatinlace.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Excellent reviews Aki! I always trust your opinion, when it comes to these. You know I LOVED Skyfall. I have to see Dark Knight. I didn't go because of all the chaos with that crazy gunman. Agree with the Snow White and Huntsmen. Kudos to Charlize, but it was a flop. Have a great weekend!
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt really uncomfortable while watching Dark Knight too, for the exact reason you mentioned.

      Delete
  13. I watched Flowers of War as well, mainly for Christian Bale :p The movie was quite depressing and more affecting than I thought it'd be. He's a great actor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely more affecting than I thought! I knew it was going to be sad, but not quite that sad.

      Delete
  14. love your reviews! for best movie i think it's a toss up btwn Avengers and Brave for me.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I loved The Hobbit and Brave as well!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!