Tuesday, January 1

Best Iphone Apps and Games of 2012

What better way to start off the new year than to have a little chat about something that's become so important to us these past years? Technology and smartphones have changed the way we interact with each other and the world around us. 

Here's a list of all the apps that I use! I just wanted to share them in case you're looking for something to make your life a bit more easy, fun, or productive. I've separated them into different categories!
via weheartit

Productivity
Mobile RSS - I use google reader on my computer, but when I'm on the go, this little device allows me to read all your blog posts. I like that it has settings that allow me to star your posts for later as well as connections to social media. One feature that I especially like is that I can control when it downloads pictures and when it's just text. If I'm not in a wifi environment, I don't want to spend a few minutes just wait for my phone to download pictures. It help saves my battery too.

Evernote - This is an amazing program. It links your phone with your home computer with the internet. What you save at any of these places, you can access in any other. Save links, articles, notes, pictures and voice memos. I can't love this enough. 

Social Media
Twitter - Not going to spend too much time on this one. It's twitter, tweets and all. You probably already have this on your phone. 

Blogger - This actually isn't a great app. I think its ease and efficiency leave more to be desired, but basically allows you to take blogging on the go.

Photography
PhotoWonder - You probably want to skip this one if you use instragram or are attached to any other photo editing software. This is a Chinese app that allows you to do some simple editing (color, croping, rotating) It also has some vanity features such as thinify, which allows you to push your bits and pieces in, enlarge eyes, which is pretty self explanatory, and skin whiten, which lightens the color of your skin. I think Asian girls in Asia use these features more often, but if it interests you, it's worth a look. Photowonder even allows you to add eyeliner and blush. I can't use any of these features without looking like an alien clown, so I'll just leave that to the pros. 

GifBoom - This allows you to take a short video or some pictures and turn it into a gif. I like using this to post to twitter once in a while instead of just posting plain pictures. 

Cinemagram - This concept is similar to GifBoom, however, this allows you to take a video and just animate a portion of video. You've probably seen these cinemagraphs around. Most of the graphic is a still picture, however, a part of it (perhaps smoke or rising bubbles) is moving. 

Micellaneous
Pandora - You may choose to play your music on Spotify or something similar, but my music player of choice is still Pandora. It has ads, but it just works for me!

Run Pee - I like to watch movies.... but I always, always have to pee during them. Run Pee is a service that tells you when you should go pee during a movie. It has a database of all the new movies in theater as well as many more. You only use it every time you see a film in theaters, but for a gal like me, it's invaluable. 

MakeupAlley - You probably use this site already. Makeup Alley offers reviews... lots and lots of reviews for a lot of different types of beauty products. While I generally try to know what I'm going out to buy before I go out, this helps me out when I see an unexpected sale. I don't have to pass it by and I don't have to blindly grab anything. I can check many reviews of a product I'm interested in, easily and quickly. 

UrbanSpoon - I'm horribly indecisive when it comes to choosing a place to eat. In fact, I'm near infamous. However, this app shows me what's in the area for a quick meal. If I'm feeling like a certain type of type of food, I can search by that criteria too. Lastly, I can also find the price of the restaurant on this app, which is also really useful. 

HappyHours - Over the summer, I got a slight obsession with happy hours. Not sure how or why this happened. Either way, this app helps you locate which locations closest to you have happy hours and what they offer. It's great if you feel like drinking or want to find a nice place for a few cheap appetizers. 

My Fitness Pal - This app has been my life lately. It's not complicated: it helps you keep track of what you eat and what exercises you do. This has a ton of restaurant information in it, as well as an impressive database of barcodes. You can add in calories yourself too. Over the past few weeks, it's really made me cognizant of exactly how much I eat. 

Games
I'm not a game or app reviewer, so I really stink at describing these! Look them up in your app store too! All the links are below. 

Ninja Fishing - This is a mix between a fishing game (your fishing hook vertically goes though the water. You want to catch as many fish as possible) and fruit ninja (slicing up the fish). The deeper underwater you go, the more kinds of fish there are, even rare fish too! There are different locations and since I last played it, the game creators even added collectible trash. 

Zookeeper Battle- This fun puzzle game has you switching animal tiles to match 3 or more in a row. There are special tiles that can get rid of all of one tile... or the fun part, mess with your opponent. If this were a solely one player game, it would be boring. But since you battle with someone, it's awesome! Battling gives you that sense of urgency! The game offers you little prizes to decorate your character with if you in a certain number of battles. 

Zombie Dice - I first heard of this game on Geek and Sundry's show Tabletop. It's based off a board game where you try to eat the most brains before getting shot. This part strategy, part luck game isn't as fun with a computer controlled character as with other people, but still enjoyable if you're bored. 

Tiny Tower - This is a Sim-esque economy game. You control a tower with different types of businesses and apartments in it. The "Bitizens" who live in the apartment work there too and you go around, staffing stores and stocking them. This is life consumingly addictive for the first week you play it. 

23 comments:

  1. I already have twitter, instagram and blogger (the musts) and I found that fitness pal is just amazing and of such good use! Thanks for the other suggestions, I'm downloading gifboom RIGHT NOW! I also wish you a fabulous new year and im truly hoping that your life will get even better in 2013! :)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG I LOVe Photo Wonder. It's the best app for photos I've found to date!
    ♥ laura
    the blog of worldly delights
    the shop of worldly delights

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love hearing that I'm not the only one who loves this app!

      Delete
  3. happy new year hun! thanks foe great ideas on apps!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are so many great apps here. I have to try this ninjafishing business now, haha. Sounds way too addicting! Happy new year :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just downloaded a game called Flow - so addicting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've played that one before. It's not interactive enough to keep me hooked. ...Also, it requires too much thinking.

      Delete
  6. Aki, this is an awesome list! I love GifBoom and Makeup Alley! I'm definitely downloading Cinegram, Evernote and Mobile RSS. Fabulous post! This is going to help a lot. Happy New Year Doll!
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy New Year, Aki!! I have to check out Mobile RSS...and I also agree that the blogger app could be better. Hopefully they can update it :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not holding my breath on the app update though. There's so many things I still want from this platform.

      Delete
  8. Happy New Year! Awesome post!!! I will def check out some of these apps ... to add to my phone =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. i don't have an iphone :(
    i can barely access twitter on mine..

    ReplyDelete
  10. I still havent a smartphone you know, it is a good resolution for the new year:) Kisses! xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. some of these I actually haven't heard of, like makeup alley. Thanks for sharing and I hope some of these are on droid!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Omg Run Pee - that is friggin awesome. Happy new year!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have never heard if makupalley and I'm always searching youtube for reviews. Im for sure gonna check this one out. Great post and thanks for checking out my blog. Now following you and would love for you to follow back.

    xoxo
    annpaige
    http://annpaigefashion.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree about the blogger app, I find it to be pretty useless. I've heard of Run Pee, but never used it myself.. I think it's hilarious! Happy new year!

    xo, Yi-chia
    Always Maylee

    ReplyDelete
  15. MakeupAlley sounds like a great idea. I'm the same as you, I like to read at least a few reviews before I buy something.

    Thank you so much for your lovely and thoughtful comment. Yes, you did detect the slightly subdued tone in my post. I wish I could see January in the same positive light that you do, but unfortunately it really is the worst month for me. Low on inspiration and motivation, grey and dark without the magical Christmas lights and back to work tomorrow... God, I sound terribly cheerful, non? ;-)

    I hope you've had a wonderful Christmas and wish you a New Year full of happiness and inspiration. xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm definitely going to be checking out all the photography apps! And for games, have you played Bubble Mania? I'm pretty much addicted to it. :)

    XO,
    SSDS

    P.S., I hope you had a great New Years!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Isn't evernote the best app?! Love it. Great reviews!
    xo
    girlintheyellowdress.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you for sharing this and will def check out the apps. It's nice to see you visited my blog and thank you for that and for your sweet thoughts. Happy New Year...............

    xo
    Sam
    http://fabulouspetite.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. happy new year;)

    Thank u for sharing this
    this is so helpful..
    i will download those games asap!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!