Saturday, February 2

Blog Resolutions

I've done the blog goals thing. I've asked you guys what I should do... but I think a more fun activity is what we should ALL do. Here are the goals that I decided on last year. I'll reflect on how I think I did on them. If you want to, please feel free to send me some constructive criticism. 
via weheartit

1. Better content + writing: I don't think I've improved on my writing as much. At the same time, I don't think it's as important to me as it once was. As far as content goes, I think I have my moments here and there. There are writing heavy posts and then there are picture heavy posts; my blog has a mix that I'm satisfied with

2. More contact: I think I've started using my twitter a lot more and interacting with you guys. To improve on this further, I really want to start doing more link up posts and tags!

3. Leave real comments: I go back and forth on this one. I can't decide whether the comments I leave are good enough. I make an effort when I can but there are times when I can't think of anything intelligent or meaningful to say. 

4. Vlog: I made a few vlogs, but due to my lack of editing skills, I really don't think that's my medium. At least, not for now. (Possibly, not ever, because I find staring into a camera to be very creepy.)

5. Different types of posts: Last year at around this time, the food tag was much larger than any other. Now, it's an even spread between food, outfits and reviews. I think some of those reviews are restaurant reviews so I could do with adding more makeup reviews!

6. Hauls: I never buy a lot of clothes, all at once. I have this horrible habit where I go shopping every weekend and purchase one item of clothing. This is a to-be-continued work in progress because I'm still trying to take pictures whenever I purchase new pieces of clothing.

7. Career: I think I've definitely done some more career posts I'm proud of. I tweet a lot of career links, so.... I'd call this one accomplished! 

Here are my goals for the new year! 

1. Better pictures: I'm no photographer, but I think good pictures are composed of nice light, good focus, and a decent background. I seriously believe that my phone is better for most pictures than my actual camera. But with either device, I'll try taking more time to post better pictures. 

2. Put more effort into writing: Yes, this is the same as number 1 up above. It's frustrating to me that my favorite blogs have extremely talented writers behind them; their excellent writing is part of the reason why I enjoy reading so much. However, I think if I found my blog, I would be turned off by the writing. And that's just sad. 

3. More makeup reviews: And when I do makeup/skincare reviews, make them more detailed. I think nowadays, I kind of half donkey (you know what I mean, right?) it. I should analyze my reviews after I write them and consider if it would help me make a purchasing decision. 

So, I know that more than half of you have done something like this too. Feel free to link me to your posts (if I haven't read them already!)


How do you think you've done on blog goals you set last year?
What are some new goals for your blog?

40 comments:

  1. Ha, I should come up with some blogging goals too! Back to the topic; I actually think your blog is by far one of the best I follow. I like that you do have a mix of content, both in terms of visually and topics (honestly, it annoys when I start following a blog and literally every post is about the same, one topic). I think your blog also does a good job of having thought provoking topics (that aren't super weighty and philosophical!) that bring up a chance for good discussions and comments. I also think your writing style is already great!

    Keep up the good work, and I can't wait to see what the new blogging year brings!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. You always leave the best, most encouraging comments.

      Delete
  2. Blargh, I'm so bad at keeping my blogging resolutions. I really need to start planning everything a lot better. Here's to keeping each other on track.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post definitely makes me want to make some resolutions of my own... but similar to rooth who posted above, I'm terrible at keeping resolutions as well. Haha! Looking forward to seeing you incorporate your new goals into your blog.

    XO,
    SSDS

    P.S.,
    I'm planning on doing keys next! We've flip flopped. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh wow, this is such a great post! and great idea too, I should definitely do one for myself as well. it's a great way to improve too :) I'm thinking of doing different kinds of post too, similar to yours! Feels like I only focus on beauty, and a little bit on fashion and lifestyle, it would be great to have some versatility right? :) Best of luck for your goals!

    I hope you're having a beautiful day ~ XO
    NEW POST: www.chriissydollxo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like versitility in my life, but if you're usually a beauty blog, posting about food all of a sudden might be weird.

      Delete
  5. i find staring at a camera for too long ceepy as well.i have tried to do vlogs but for that reason i couldn't.plus i have zero video editing skills..i think i have improved on my writing a bit and i hopefully am being more consistent.i am an eclectic mix and i am afraid some aspects alienated my readers in the past.i would love to see more outfit posts from you(i should work on that too :P)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I should list some goals to achieve as well this year, I think you've got yours for the year just passed and for sure you wont have problems for the new ones:) As long as you are satiesfied with your blog and having fun, this is just a good job!:) xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that quote, will have to remember it the next time i feel guilty for watching too much TV hahaha. I have made lots of goals/resolutions this year.

    Thank you for the lovely comment,
    http://chicgeekblogger.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. hi aki, thanks so much for your comment on my les mis blog post. eponine is my favourite character also.

    re my blog, i think id just like to post more and be in touch more with my readers.

    come back soon :) eleanor at mirrorofmyworld.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. good luck :)

    xx.M
    www.bellesandrebelles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always wonder about the content of my comments and whether or not they are actually "enough". I do love this post, as I FOR SURE need to improve my photography as well. I say that every year and I still find myself relying on my iPhone. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love my iphone for photos. I think I should take more care, but I don't believe that more expensive equipment = better shots.

      Delete
  11. I think these are very realistic and reasonable blog goals. I hope you tick them off this year and have a great time blogging

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are some great goals that seem achievable! Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are so totally on point with your goals. I should also work on better photos and my writing skills.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good blog resolutions. I have so many too but something is always in my way. Don´t forget the fun part. Blogging should be fun :-)

    xo

    glamDevils

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great post!

    Love to read your resolutions I have a lot of similar goals :D

    XXX

    ReplyDelete
  16. I did not set any goals whatsoever for my blog, or resolutions for this new year! good luck with yours!

    ReplyDelete
  17. i am terrible at resolutions.
    good luck with yours, i love that quote too.

    www.kindoflovely.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such a nice post!
    Hope you have great time!
    You are very welcome to visit my blog and if you like it we can follow each other! Let me know ;)
    www.therainstreet.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you for stopping by my blog. This is such a great post. I could use some of your points here. Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've been thinking of making a list too, but EH NO TIME. Maybe time management can be one of my goals :) Good luck on yours!
    ♥ laura
    the blog of worldly delights
    the shop of worldly delights

    ReplyDelete
  21. These are all wonderful blog goals. I'm striving to always have better content and better photographs. Also, it would be fun to do a vlog. Great blog!

    www.ohtobeamuse.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Actually, whenever I go on your blog after reading your post the first thing that goes through my mind is how great your writing is! I think yours is always really well written, professional and entertaining.. For my blog though, writing is definitely my weakest link, me and writing just don't get along. Sometimes I think that's why my blog lacks sometimes.
    Anyways, good luck with your goals!

    http://totallyvogue.blogspot.com
    http://twitter.com/vivalavogue

    ReplyDelete
  23. these are great blogging resolutions.

    www.blushingbeauty90.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. I hope you achieve all your goals!

    http://www.beautyandthemist.com/

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi dear, your resolutions are really feel thought out and inspiring too. I hope that you are able to achieve them all!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I am so happy you posted these. A lot of people knock bloggers as wanna-be's, but obviously, blogging is a lot of work, and much like a real job. I also like how your goals are challenging but totally attainable - one bite at a time, right?

    Good luck maintaining your old goals, and reaching new ones.

    ReplyDelete
  27. These are excellent Aki! I need to adopt some of yours. HAHAHA There's constant improvement when it comes to blogging.
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  28. Commenting can be so hard. I try to be authentic and really respond to posts, but sometimes it feels like yearbook signings, where I just end up saying the same thing over and over. I also worry about the appropriate use of exclamation points and smiley faces. Life can be so hard. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  29. I haven't been able to make blog resolutions last year but this is a great recommendation Aki.
    I will make sure to draft our blog's resolutions for this year especially that I'm a forgetful person.
    Can I use yours as guidelines? ^◡^

    Fashionmoto

    ReplyDelete
  30. AH I want to improve my blog in all seven ways that you mentioned Aki. Your blog is amazing and it's one of my favourites so I'm looking forward to seeing how it evolves through 2013 :D

    ReplyDelete
  31. These are all very good, very sound goals! So far, I think I'm doing good with mine. It's happy work. :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. I think these are some great blog goals, and I should sit down and do the same. As for haul posts, you could do them once a month? I am starting to think of doing that...a lot of pieces I buy sell out fast and since I photograph once a month, it's usually too late for my readers to but the item.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I'm a new reader, so I can't really contribute much to this post.. Seems like you have some good goals set for yourself though!

    Thanks for the comment on my blog. To answer you question (because I realized most people don't check back for an answer and there's no way to notify you), the tumblers in my picture are from Starbucks (:

    Cute blog, followed!

    xx
    jamie sarah
    elegantly-inept.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  34. I appreciate this post!
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!