Thursday, April 18

A List of Necessary Appliances

This is an ultra practical post for college kids and young adults. I'll tell you, in LifeHacker style, what appliances are indispensable to me. As someone in college or even as a young adult always on the move, you may not want to buy a ton of appliances. Perhaps it's that you don't have the money to invest (I don't.) Or that you don't think you need something. Or even that you don't want excess furniture/appliances to carry when you move (me again)!

However, I think the following items are indispensable. 

1. Microwave 
via weheartit
You already have this right? Most apartments come with microwaves and microwaves are on the packing lists of most colleges. Make sure you have one. It warms up leftovers, helps you create meals in a pinch and even assists with cooking. 

2. Coffee Maker
via weheartit
Don't think you need a coffee maker? Think one's too expensive? For the longest time, I didn't want a coffee maker because I was looking at the wrong ones. I don't have 300 dollars for a Keurig, I thought. I still don't. I went with a Mr. Coffee Coffee Maker for under 20 dollars. I also thought that making coffee would be a hassle. If I got a coffee maker, wouldn't I still need coffee beans, a coffee grinder, those filters... Wouldn't it all add up? Let's break it down. 

One cup of Starbucks Coffee is 1.40. As most of us know, the special drinks can cost up to five dollars, but for the sake of price comparison, we'll stick to the basics. A coffee maker is 20 dollars. A filter is 3. A bag of already ground coffee is 7. Making coffee at home is an initial investment of 30 dollars. If you make 21 cups of coffee, you've already made back your money. Even if you add creme and sugar to that list, it just doesn't make sense to buy coffee every morning. All you have to do is wake up and set it up. I find that the process and being excited for coffee makes me more alert and willing to walk to the other room too. 

I know I have a lot of opinions on coffee makers, but bare with me. I'm almost done. Perhaps the best part about this is that I don't feel tempted to buy coffee out anymore. Pair your coffee maker with a good quality tumbler and you are set to go! I'd call it unlimited free coffee, but that may be going too far. 

3. Single Serve Smoothie Blender
via tumblr
I guess this will only apply to you if you do the following. 1. Buy smoothies from Whole Foods/Jamba Juice. 2. Enjoy smoothies. 3. Want to start drinking healthy green smoothies. I actually had a blender before I got the Hamilton Single Serve Blender. But that blender was large and didn't work well. I hated having to clean it every time I used it, so I didn't use it. 

When you're out looking for your small single serve blender, I'd make sure that its motor is powerful enough to crush ice. After that, the possibilities are endless. Instead of spending 5 dollars somewhere for a smoothie, simply grab some recipes online and blend it yourself. It's an initial investment of 20 bucks plus 10 dollars of fruit/veggies for maybe 20 servings? If there's 2 things you need to know about me, it's that I like to save money and save effort. (Or that I'm cheap and lazy...) 

Another reason I avoided a blender was because I didn't think I could make the same .tasty smoothies I could buy. It's true that I don't follow many of the recipes listed online since they're just too complicated. I stick to simple smoothies using whatever fruit I have on hand. I've made smoothies out of frozen grapes (just frozen grapes), as well as strawberries and bananas, pears and spinach. As I discovered the other day, 1 ingredient is all you need. 

35 comments:

  1. So that small blender works well with ice? I've been looking into getting a smoothie blender lately...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list! I never thought of getting a single blender, but it would be great for a quick, healthy drink on the go, and would be much cheaper than buying a smoothy every day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for leaving such a darling comment on my blog!
    I also have a single blender and absolutely love it. Also good for making hummus!

    Have the best day ever,
    -Kati

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cant live without a coffee maker and a microwave. I use blender very less though I love smoothies!:) Kisses Aki! xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I could not survive without a microwave during my college days, definitely an essential!
    love the microwave brownie recipe there!
    xo
    http://polkadottedpearl.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Definitely agree with the microwave!! I'm not a big coffee drinker but do want a new blender - I really want a vitamix!

    elle [wonderfelle world]

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love smoothies, I've been meaning to try and make some so I can have them in the morning! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I need a smoothie blender!

    xo erica

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are great tips. I don't think I thought about preparing food much when I was in university and I certainly didn't drink coffee. People are much more sophisticated now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. OH MY GOD MICROWAVE BROWNIE!
    definitely saving that one.

    www.kindoflovely.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't think I could live without my microwave. It is WAY too convenient and so much faster than using a stove.

    ReplyDelete
  12. graet blog thanks for sharing
    Do you want to follow eachother?
    kariotakis
    A Kariotakis

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've been meaning to try the microwave brownie. Seems so easy for such a delicious result!

    ReplyDelete
  14. love this list
    i need a coffee maker!!

    re: the samsung la fleur is made for women because of its outer casing prints
    for the Samsung SIII it is made smaller than before, easier to put inside the purse ;)
    other than that, the feature is the same with the previous version


    xoxo
    style frontier

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those are definitely important appliances! I still need to try the microwave brownie :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. That microwave brownie is so neat Aki :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is so true! I bought everything (minus the microwave) while I lived on campus in college. I loved the blender so much, I wanted to make healthy smoothies, but it has other uses of drinks like margaritas :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. That thins are really important!
    I love it the microwave!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Cute post darling! Even though I have some of those appliances I still might try to make the microwave brownies :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Microwaves are essential! I love microwave chocolate cake :) So good for heating up leftovers too :)

    Away From the Blue

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm going off to college this fall so this post is perfect <3 haha

    Alexa <3
    http://sleepeatbreathefashion.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  22. what great helpful tips! especially if u are soon living out on your own for the first time. I could not Live without a microwave hhaha I rarely use my oven. and seeing that smoothie blender just made me want Jamba Juice soooooo bad. I LOVE smoothies!


    The House of Shoes

    ReplyDelete
  23. great tips
    http://loving-evelyn.blogspot.ro

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm way past college age, but I couldn't agree more. One alternative to a coffee machine, though, is a coffee press. Super cheap, they last for ever, and the coffee is delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  25. oee how cool :)

    Thanks for sharing this with us !

    Such a great idea ;)


    Kisses !

    ReplyDelete
  26. Very nice ideas although I'm not really a fan of coffee makers making it in an old fashion way daily in the morning

    Lyosha
    Inside and Outside Blog

    ReplyDelete
  27. Making coffee and food at home is so much better than getting it out. Higher quality; cheaper cost. Funny story: when I was young, we didn't have microwaves; we only had toaster-ovens. One day, I was cooking a grilled cheese sandwich, forgot about it, and the whole thing caught fire! I didn't know what to do so I just picked it up and threw it out the window! Ah, youth...

    ReplyDelete
  28. Such great tips, making coffee at home saves so much money in the long term!

    Jennie xo | sailorjennie.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. Im sorry to hear abt ur fren and family. my prayers with them.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love the George Foreman grill that my hubs got when he first got his house (as a bachelor)!

    ReplyDelete
  31. This is great I think even I could make these xx

    ReplyDelete
  32. This is a good list. I think in college I only had a coffee maker and a rice cooker for the dorm/apartments, and a shared microwave.

    For smoothies I love putting hot tea with frozen fruit and blending them together. I'm not a fan of the ones with dairy/soy and/or with too many ingredients but I've never tried just one ingredient. It sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  33. This was very helpful! Thanks for sharing.


    -Raven Rosie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!