Thursday, July 4

2013 Movie Reviews Part 1

I'm sure that if you've been reading my blog for any length of time, you know I love movies. I try to bring you guys some movie reviews every once in a while! The 2013 Part 1 list covers the end of 2012 as well has half of the blockbusters in 2013. 

via weheartit

Les Miserables - I know that this movie got rave reviews all over the place, but I was NOT a fan. I disliked Hugh Jackman as Valjean, Russell Crowe as Javert and Amanda Seyfried as Cosette. Some of the music was good, but overall I did not really enjoy it. The movie made me frustrated in the same ways as reading the book did. I despise Marius and Cosette as characters. 

Warm Bodies - I love the idea of zombie parodies but at the theater  I saw so many young high schoolers that I was deeply worried this was going to be a teenybopper movie. However, the movie was excellent. It was romantic, engaging, and hilarious. It doesn't hurt that Nicholas Hoult is pretty darn attractive. 

Rise of the Guardians - This cartoon was a Christmas movie in 2012. Voice talents included Alec Baldwin, Chris Pine, Jude Law and Hugh Jackman. It wasn't a super amazing movie or cartoon, but it was cute. I'd say it's a good movie to watch anytime you want some warm fuzzies. 

GI Joe: Rise of the Cobra - What a ridiculous movie. The plot, concept, characters were all very extravagant and not realistic. I didn't expect much from it though, for a movie based on the GI Joe action figures. Watch this if you ever feel like watching a bad action movie. 

The Great Gatsby - Talk about a movie where everyone had an expectation! I liked the book and I do really like Baz Luhrmann's style of movie making. That being said, I liked all the party scenes in the movie... all the fast-paced, stylistic, beautiful  moments. I didn't like the actual plot or overall movie too much. 

Iron Man 3 - Summer blockbuster! Now this is what I'm talking about! Being the third movie in a franchise, this movie had a lot of pressure... and not a lot of expectations. I know those sentiments are contradictory  but let me explain. From really big fans, there was a ton of pressure for the movie to measure up to the Avengers and to continue the awesome. Others were getting sick of the franchise. But enough about what everyone else thought of it. I really liked it. I thought the villain was very awesome. I liked all the supporting characters and absolutely loved Pepper.  Compared with how Tony Stark was before, he was only a little less awesome in this one. Overall though, I thought it was a solid performance considering the plot, CGI explosions, and general pace of the movie. If you like a nice action movie, superheroes, or the Marvel Universe, I recommend it. 

Star Trek Into Darkness - Oh man. By now you guys probably know how much I adore Star Trek. Before I watched this movie in 2009, I had never seen Star Trek or Star Wars. I hated science fiction. Now, I can't get enough of it. Needless to day, Star Trek, (and specifically, NuTrek) has had a gigantic impact on my life. Now, about the actual movie. I think you'll enjoy it whether you know a little or a lot about the series. I thought it had great plot, characters, and battles. I've heard a lot of sexist accusations levied against the film, but ultimately, I wasn't offended in the least bit. There was a scene, where, taken out of context in the trailer, looked pretty bad... but it made sense in the movie. You'd definitely want to talk to your friends about this movie after you watch it. I found myself talking about my favorite action scenes, the motivations behind several character's actions and ALL the references that the film made to the old Star Trek series. Amazing film, highly recommend for all. 

Which was your favorite out of these? Any other recommendations for me? 

32 comments:

  1. sounds great. thanks for sharing.
    lovely greets
    maren anita

    FASHION-MEETS-ART by Maren Anita

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really loved Les Mis, although I do agree about Russell Crowe and Amanda Seyfried.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've only seen a couple out of this list, but really did enjoy Warm Bodies. I waited until it was out at Redbox to watch it and really liked it a lot more than I thought I would. And agreed about Nicholas Hoult.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a great review girl! And from reading it all I can think is: "Dang, this girl watches all the movies when they come out!" I'm jealous :P Haha, I usually wait until they come out on Redbox or the college offers a free movie night for the students. But I've seen most of these, and I agree on Warm Bodies - Nicholas Hoult is pretty cute ;)

    Trendy Teal

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love movies too and appreciate hearing your views. Sci-fi has an undeserved bad rap as a genre yet contains some of the most interesting ideas and characters. I've been a fan of Star Trek from the original series.

    ReplyDelete
  6. All were great films, but I'm going to have to say that The Great Gatsby was my fave from the bunch. It was just so darn beautiful, y'know?! lol. I agree that the plot/story line wasn't all that intriguing (it piqued the interest of non-book-readers, I'm sure), but all the glitz, glamour and beauty was just perfectly done!

    fyi: I've made a nail wrap tutorial post on the blog if you'd like to check it out :).

    <3Jo
    www.thelittledandy.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved Iron Man 3! :) I've got a bit of a soft spot for Robert Downey Jr.

    -Ashley
    http://lestylorouge.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. i watched star trek too!! and I'm not into the whole science fiction thing but i loved that movie!!

    Click me for my BLOG!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i'm so desperate to watch star trek! i loved the one before.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I only saw The Great Gatsby. It was ok, but different than what I expected.
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Totally loved how endearing Warm Bodies was! Definitely "feel good" even though it was zombies, which I usually am not interested in. Though World War Z intrigues me. I want to see GI Joe just because it's a sequel. I heard it was bad. I'm so glad you like Iron Man 3 and the "second" Star Trek because I can't wait to see them. Just gotta find the time ;).

    ReplyDelete
  12. i haven't seen gatsby yet, but i own two baz films, so i might check it out

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Aki! I have seen only The Great Gatsby and Iron Man and agree with your review, in particular about The Great Gatsby, I had too much expectations maybe:) Now I want to see Superman, Thorn and Alex Cross!:) Have a good weekend! xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so rubbish when it comes to watching movies at the cinema. I saw Iron Man 3 though and loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I feel so awkward saying this, but I haven't seen ANY of these films. I really need to make more time for movie dates. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for your comment! :) Sadly, the skeleton wasn't right because of its proportions~ But I'll re-do one very soon!
    Nice list you've got :D Sadly, I don't really watch movies, so I always end up with reading what others thought about them xD

    Have a wonderful weekend,
    allthatglittersnotgold.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I absolutely must see these movies :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I only had a chance to see Les Mis, but I definitely want to see Warm Bodies!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love movies, too ! I want to see the great gatsby :)

    http://voyagevoyagelamonde.blogspot.de/

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love seeing these posts! I was debating about whether or not to watch Les Mis and I ended up not watching it...kind of glad It didn't lol. I'll probably watch it later on some day...
    haha I was worried about Warm bodies too, but it was surprisingly good. I loved the comedy aspects :D
    YEAAAA Iron Man and Star Trek!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  21. thanks for the reviews! i haven't seen most of these movies yet, so now i know which ones to stay away from :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Iron Man 3 for the win. Although... I've not watched the new Star Trek one yet so.. yeh. Looking forward to it though!

    ReplyDelete
  23. thanks for the reviews. i just realized i am horribly horribly behind in watching movies! eep!

    ReplyDelete
  24. The Great Gatsby was my absolute favorite! It was just a great adaptation of it. If Leo doesn't get some kind-of recognition, I will blow a gasket! I have yet to see the rest of these movies, so I will not spoil myself. I did see 'The Bling Ring' though, go see it!

    Always,
    Mostly Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is a sad reminder of how I cannot remember the last time I saw a movie in theaters. Hopefully I will soon so here's a preemptive hanks for the recs/ reviews :)

    Mili from call me, Maeby

    ReplyDelete
  26. iron man 3 is my fave <3 i also love pepper's character and i like what they did with her on this film. so epic :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I just rewatched Star Trek (the nuTrek) this weekend and got excited all over again for the new one. I heart Zachary Quinto

    ReplyDelete
  28. I actually really enjoyed Great Gatsby...I wasn't expecting a super awesome plot anyhow, I really loved all the costumes and makeup, and the music! Definitely want to see Warm Bodies, gotta love a good romantic zombie flick ;-)

    xo Dinah @ Sunshine super glam

    ReplyDelete
  29. 1. I really want to see Warm Bodies! It's definitely on my rent list!
    2. I REALLY want to see Great Gatsby... but I'll probably wait to rent that as well. I tried re-reading the book (I hated it in high school) and I couldn't get past his writing style. But I think one of the points of the book/movie is you aren't really supposed to like any of the characters....
    3. I'm probably the only person out there that was disappointed when the remade Les Miserables. I LOVED the version with Liam Neeson and Geoffrey Rush. I refuse to watch the new one ;)
    4. Star Trek was beyond amazing! I'm a sucker for sci-fi and Benedict Cumberbatch!

    ReplyDelete
  30. i love the hair styles!. lovely long hair.

    from Brigitte at // BreezeyBee Blog | BlogLovin'

    dont forget to enter my RiRi Woo Giveaway Here

    ReplyDelete
  31. I just saw Warm Bodies and really liked it! I wasn't sure what to expect, but enjoyed watching it.

    fairestsfavorites.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!