Thursday, August 8

The Odo Story

I've always wanted a dog. When I was younger, I grew up in cities like NY, Detroit and Beijing where dogs were pretty rare. When I moved out to Arizona, I discovered I had allergies to dogs and cats so I avoided most of them. But I've always loved dogs... they're just so cute! My parents are not animal lovers and I was no where near mature enough in high school to own a pet. After I moved out on my own, I was too busy with extracurricular to take care of a pet. And... I was still allergic. 

Fast forward to a month or two ago. I just moved in with my boyfriend and I'd look at dogs to adopt. I researched what dogs were hypoallergenic and checked each dog available for adoption to see if they matched. However, I had never owned a dog before and I was so, so nervous about getting one. I started going to the local Petsmart every Saturday while a local shelter would bring their animals. 

One Saturday, I asked a few questions about a dog. Filled out an application. Then, $500 later, this happened. 

The first thing Odo did when he came home was poop on the floor. Then he hid from us for the rest of the night. The image above is blurry because he wouldn't let anyone near him. For his first walk... we had to catch him first. 



Part of me still can't believe I own a dog. Part of me can't believe he's come so far in such a short time. He now knows his name and lives up to the title of "Velcro" dog... meaning that he walks wherever you walk. Bathroom break? He'll follow you. Part of me can't believe that he's wormed his way into my heart in such a short time.  He's not what I expected or wanted. I wanted an older dog, not a puppy. I wanted a fat dog, not one of the leanest breeds out there. At first I was only going to let him in the living room and not on any furniture. But when he cuddled up next to me on the sofa, I let him stay. When I tried to have him sleep in a bathroom or a crate during the night, he cried (and destroyed a door). Now he's allowed in the bedroom. We're still trying to keep him off the beds though. ;) Then, there's a part of me that knows he has a bit farther to go. It ranges from the serious (he has socialization problems and fears all other dogs and humans) to the trivial (his ears stick straight up but they're supposed to fold down). Then there's the part where we want him to learn sit and stay and roll over..

But a bit more about Odo. He's a six month old Whippet/Italian Greyhound mix (we think). He is quite energetic and a little submissive. He goes crazy when you come home... even if you were only gone to take out the trash. He is as comfortable on two legs as four and can hop really, really high. Lastly, but not least, he's a new member of my family. 

19 comments:

  1. Odo is so sweet and cute - I loved hearing about him and can't wait for more pictures as he gets older

    ReplyDelete
  2. he's so cute! i can't wait until i move out, the first thing i'll do is adopt a dog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww congratulations on your first pet dog! He looks so cute and I'm glad you picked him up from the shelter too. I heard that if they weren't treated well when they were puppies then they develop social problems, but he's still young so I'm sure you can help him overcome it! I really really want a pet dog/cat too but worried I won't have time to look after it properly just yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i think i will never own a pet..but odo sounds to be adorable..

    ReplyDelete
  5. omg. i think my heart literally just melted right now. congrats on the new addition to your family. he's adorable! the last picture - his eyes! here's to making lots of great memories with Odo! have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww is so sweet! I always wanted to have a dog as well! Congrats Aki!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww how awesome! He's such a cutie :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely story. Odo is such an adorable dog. I'm a big dog lover so they really spoke to me! :) Glad he is now a part of your family.

    Oh to Be a Muse
    Shop Layered Muse

    ReplyDelete
  9. Adorable. That picture on the couch made me so happy. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  10. nice post http://differentcands.blogspot.kr/2013/08/classy-look-for-formal-event.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's so lovely. He is an adorable dog, and he looks so cute on the last picture !

    ReplyDelete
  12. He's so cute. He didn't seem super shy when I met him so you guys are doing a great job, I think! =]

    ReplyDelete
  13. yay! i love dogs!
    COME CHECK OUT MY GIVEAWAY!

    http://bellesandrebelles.blogspot.com/2013/08/antonym-jewelry-neoteric-ring-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. awww! i'd never had a dog before i got mine. but now i can't imagine life without him. congrats on yours! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. congrats!!! he is adorable, and has shorter hair, I think that helps with your allergy!!! i'm sure you will have a lot of fun and great time with your new family member:))

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congrats!!! Being a dog owner is amazing in my opinion, they show you such unconditional love ;-)

    xo Dinah @ Sunshine super glam

    ReplyDelete
  17. Aww, so cute! congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  18. He's adorable!! We took our dog to a pet training class at PetSmart and it really helped us help her to learn commands. It is funny how different you think you'll treat or let a dog behave before you get him, and what he gets away with once he's home ;). We were pretty strict with our dog rules but very flexible with our son, haha

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!