Monday, September 9

Spring/Summer Reading + Opinions on E-Readers?

In addition to my Tao of Pooh book that I dedicated an entire post to, I've read a few other books this spring too. (And then I forgot about them, which is why this post comes to you during not-spring.) 

Stardust
by Neil Gaiman 

This is a classic fairy tale. Overall, I thought it was such a cute, sweet book! There were a lot of aspects to this book that tied together beautifully. You know that "ahhh, so that's how it all works out" moment you get when reading especially well crafted books? Definitely happened with this book. It was an incredibly quick read so I recommend it for your boring afternoon. 


via tumblr

The Importance of Being Earnest 
by Oscar Wilde

This is a classic play. Now, classics have a bad rep for being boring but I found this play ridiculous and hilarious. I found it so hilarious that I really really want to see it being performed. This play... basically reminds me of Wedding Crashers. 2 bffs and their 2 respective ladies... and lots of lies in between. Throw in a few offbeat characters and this could be the next Hollywood RomCom. But better. Since's it's Oscar Wilde.

In other book related news, I've been toying around with the idea of getting an ipad mini for reading. I know that there are cheaper e-readers, but I think I'd have more versatility with an ipad mini... so I won't be tempted to get an e-reader then another ipad in a few years. Do you guys use any e-readers? Opinions? I'd stick with free books if I could, but I hated carrying a laptop bag, a purse and then a huge book to read on the train. What else do you guys use your ipads for? 

10 comments:

  1. I don't own an iPad because I think it's a glorified iPhone, which I already have. I e-read on my phone. The reason for me to get iPad is so son has something to play with on weekends and for me to have bigger screen to read from.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh you read some good ones lately! I like my e-reader (iPad) but still prefer real live books

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to say I was a bit of a snob before when it came to reading "real books" vs. e-books. Then I got an e-reader as a gift and I have to say, it's very convenient to travel with and read. It's not as convenient say if you wanted to go backwards and find the spot where you read something to refresh your memory (compared to a "real book") but it's great for airplanes, vacations, etc. I still buy books but e-books are so easy when you want it then and there.

    I have a Kindle but my husband has a iPad mini and compared to the two, we both use them frequently. =D

    xo,
    nancy

    http://adoretoadorn.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love "The Importance of Being Earnest" and would love to read "Stardust," too! Also, I have an iPad and use it for browsing the internet as well as reading e-books. But if you want something primarily for reading, I would go with the Kindle since it's cheaper.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been meaning to read "The Importance of Being Ernest". i've heard so many things about it. I mostly read on my iPad and sometimes on my phone when I'm out and about. E-book readers are just so convenient!

    cute & little
    vote for my YOUphoria outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh I've been interested in reading some plays :D
    I like using my ipad mini for reading and web-surfing. It's definitely more versatile than an e-reader. The only thing I wish it had was the non-glare surface. I've been taking my ipad to the beach to read, but it's not the best outdoors even with the brightness all the way up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i wanted an ipad mini or some type of reader as well. and i totally hear you about lugging around things in addition to a book, but i don't think i can let go of the feeling of turning the pages! :) and neil gaiman is awesome! and i think i read the oscar wilde play but for the life of me i can't remember the details..!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh how I miss reading *sigh*. Since I started working, I haven't been able to read at all. Personally, I like reading classics, but it's always great to find a newer book that's well written and interesting.

    I'm not too big on readers. To me, there's nothing like feeling a book in your hand, and holding the pages between your fingers. Besides, I can never concentrate when I'm reading on a screen. But if you carry around a lot, it's probably a good idea for convenience sake.

    ReplyDelete
  9. thanks for the recommendation! and nice blog :)

    biffsquiggled.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. If you're still considering an e-reader, I strongly recommend the Kindle and would say no to the iPad. I got an iPad for free and I only use it for watching TV on the treadmill. It hurts my eyes if I use it to read for too long.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!