Thursday, October 10

An Introduction to Spaghetti Squash

I don't think I've had an actual cooking post here in a while. It's not because I'm cooking less... actually, just the opposite. When I started this blog, I had no idea how or what to cook. Now, I have a few recipes that I can reliably go back to... but I'm still introduced to new vegetables all the time. This is one of those times.

The spaghetti squash is just a cool vegetable. I've always thought that squash is a funny looking winter vegetable but I really had no idea how many different types of squash there are.

This is what spaghetti squash looks like when it's just cut open. It's a rather unassuming melon shaped ... thing. 
via cornucopia's tumblr
But, turn it over and scrape it with a god and you get something really really cool. 
via Eat and Greet's tumblr
Now, let's be real here. This isn't the same as spaghetti. You're not going to fool anyone into thinking that this is angel hair pasta. But think about it this way, one cup of pasta is over 200 calories. One cup of spaghetti squash is under 50. Now, I'm not a nutritionist or anything, but you can read here for more information. 

What I can tell you is that spaghetti squash, mixed with traditional pasta ingredients, is delicious. In this dish, I used tomatoes, mushrooms and some cheese. While it was very good, I thought it could have been even better with the addition of some meatballs. 

17 comments:

  1. I bought some recently, but haven't cooked them yet. I'm really excited to tyr.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never had spaghetti squash before, I think I am just wary because I like real pasta so much. I also like plenty of squashes, but I for some reason just can't get behind trying this one. I really should, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never tried this before but always wanted to. how do i cook it? like speghetti?

    ReplyDelete
  4. My dad loved spaghetti squash, so we planted it each year in our huge garden (along with many other things).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOOOOOOOOVE squash... especially spaghetti! nomnomnomnomnom!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really want to give this a try!

    Jennie xo | sailorjennie.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. i have never heard of spaghetti squash. so interesting and would love to try the way you did by adding traditional pasta ingredients. adding meatballs doesn't sound too shabby either! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would like to try this, this looks very healthy! i think i would eat it even without the meat balls.

    ReplyDelete
  9. spaghetti squash? i never thought something like that existed. O_o

    ReplyDelete
  10. I need this in my life! I've been eating too many carbs. Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  11. that looks really good! i will definitely try to cook with the squash!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That looks so cool! I've tried spaghetti squash before and it tastes good, but it certainly isn't a replacement for actual pasta to me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I bought a spaghetti squash a few weeks ago to make "pasta" and have yet to crack it open. i definitely need to make it this week. your meal looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mmm this looks delicious! I've been wanting to try this out! :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would rather eat this rather than pasta. It sounds yummy. Eating can be fun when you mix things up and there are so many alternatives.

    I don't like cooking though but I like looking at recipes.

    Sej || What Would Grace Kelly Say

    x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Does it have a "squash taste"? I'd be afraid I'd be turned off by that taste.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It looks very appetising actually. I think I might give it a go. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!