Thursday, November 21

Essential Makeup Products

After watching way too many timed makeup challenges on Youtube, I realized that they had one of two interpretations.

1. The youtuber tries to put on a full face of makeup as quickly as possible. 
2. The youtuber chooses her most essential products and applies calmly. 

I had my own real life timed makeup challenge a few months ago when I graduated. My graduation was at 5:30. My friend (and her parents!) were picking me up at 5:10. 

My mom calls me at 3:30 to tell me that she locked her keys in her car. I had a good two hours until I had to get ready, so I opted to help her out. At 3:40, I left. Now, the drive should have only taken 20 minutes each way, but on the way there, I got stuck in traffic for ten minutes. Not a big deal. I arrive to help my mom out at 4:10. She ordered a lovely Starbucks drink for me (and since I had an hour to spare) I waited 10 minutes for the drink. I leave at 4:20. 

Let's do a quick calculation here. 20 minutes to get home (4:40) then half an hour to get dressed and do my makeup. So, this time, I'm driving home along a different route and ... lo and behold, there's a car accident. Now, I generally try not to be selfish and think about how an accident's going to make me late when someone's car could be totaled or how they could be hurt, but I really couldn't help myself this time. The worst part of it is that I could have gotten off the freeway before the accident. The time it took me to get from one exit to another tripled and it was 4:40 by the time I was off. Of course, I got on the surface street instead of the newly cleared off highway and that cost me some time too. By 4:50, I wasn't home yet... but my friend had called me saying she was on her way. 

I got home at 5:00 and did the essentials first. Got my clutch ready with my cards and put in my keys. At 5:05, my friend called me again to say she was here. I got dressed faster than I ever had in my life ... and that left me no time for makeup. 

That's right. On my graduation, I didn't have time to put on makeup. So, I grabbed the essentials  and left. That's right, these are the items I choose for my REAL LIFE timed make up challenge. 

1. SPF/Tinted Moisturizer

This helped protect me from the sun... a MUST in Arizona. It also worked to even my complexion.

2. Blush

I have a naturally colorless face. The blush helps make me look alive and awake. 

3. Eyeliner

As the first make up item I ever tried, eyeliner has a special place in my heart. There's nothing else that makes me feel and look pulled together quite as quickly as eyeliner. 

If you were doing the makeup challenge... what would your essential items be? 

24 comments:

  1. I think I basically do this makeup challenge kind of thing every day before work, lol. I would rather check my emails and instagram and the like rather than actually get ready. I wind up with foundation of some sort and mascara. Blush if I'm feeling fancy. That said if I were told to do as much makeup as I could within say 10 minutes I would add 2 colors of shadow (lid/crease would be one and highlight), eye liner and lipstick. I would be wary to do brows as those sometimes take me a bit to get how I want them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, what a mess of a day but glad you made it to graduation with some makeup on :). My makeup essentials, and I know this full well b/c that's how I pack when leaving town (there's only so much room in our van with the baby's, kid's, and dog's things, haha), are moisturizer, liquid foundation, eyebrow filler, and mascara and eyelash curler.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your blog! My essentials would be eyebrow powder and lipbalm! (I look so sleepy without eyebrows) and my lips get too dry! <3 I've just followed you on GFC, looking forward to your next post love!!

    xoxo, Mango ❤
    MangoRabbitRabbit's Blog | Holiday Party Outfit: Little White Dress

    ReplyDelete
  4. lol @ #1 on your list. See, I'm not actually a beauty fanatic (I don't wear a lick of makeup day to day), so I really know nothing about it. But it sounds like you have it all under control. I guess my must-haves would be eyeliner and lipstick.

    http//red-soledfashionista.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd probably pick the basics, rather than have a mix of makeup on my face, done in a hurry.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness, I would have panicked a lot I think! Good job for picking out the basics and keeping a cool head! I think I would pick a tinted moisturiser, a cream blush for my cheeks & lips and mascara!

    Jennie xo | sailorjennie.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. i am actually itching to learn how to actually put on make up properly.. and somehow one day recreate how i looked on my wedding day... x( i think though the essential that i do need is foundation and eye liner. and maybe a little lip gloss. i feel like foundation is a must for me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would totally freak out haha. My essentials would be eyebrow pencil, lipstick and eyeliner.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My makeup essentials would be the only makeup I wear anyway: foundation, powder, eyeshadow, and lip balm. It usually takes me about 10 min max to go through my daily makeup routine. I like to keep my life as quick and easy as possible :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Omg. That is crazy. I would have definitely freaked out, but would have brought essentials too. Probably do my makeup in the car on the way there. I would probably also put my mom on speaker phone to let her know that she needs to call someone else next time, lol. That is definitely some story!

    I think the fastest that I've ever gotten ready with my makeup was 15 minutes. That too me is probably me zooming through everything, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  11. omg! That's so crazy. My essentials are close the same as yours except I would grab bronzer over blush

    ReplyDelete
  12. when i am super rushed for time, i quickly put on concealer then powder foundation and a quick spritz of setting spray. Then I bolt out the door! haha.....

    ReplyDelete
  13. Reading about this makes me totally stressed. Haha! I really dislike being in a rush, but when I'm forced to stick with the essentials, I usually use liquid foundation, nude and brown eyeshadows, and blush. :)

    XO,
    SSDS

    ReplyDelete
  14. thanks for the round up!

    xx.M
    www.bellesandrebelles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. My makeup essentials are lip balm, powder, brow pencil, and eyeliner. And concealer because I'm such a night owl. :D Hope you had a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  16. cool post! I'm not really into make-up so this helps a lot! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! I can't believe all of that happened in just one day...and on your graduation. You seemed to have handled that very well :) I can't say that I would have been that calm if I had been in your shoes. If that ever happened to me, the first thing I'd grab would be my mascara. Then some eyeliner and maybe lipstick. When I'm in a hurry, I just skip my eyeshadow and go straight into mascara.

    Just found your blog and I'm glad I did! I'm now following you through GFC and Bloglovin.

    xo Azu

    www.raven-locks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. lipstick or gloss, eyelash curler, bb cream or similar, concealer. i think i've done a challenge like this before? who knows? haha

    ReplyDelete
  19. That's definitely a make up challenge you had. For me it would be lipgloss, foundation and mascara! xx Kat


    Love and Ace

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh yeah - that's definitely a challenge! Sounds like you handled it well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Definitely mascara - my eyelashes are blond at the ends so I need mascara to make them show up.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Haha, I'd most likely refuse to leave the house if i hadn't done my makeup yet, but if i were really to choose, i'd pick my bb cream and my eyeliner because those 2 products are the must haves for me :P

    xx
    www.beautifyinglifee.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. My go-to items would be: touch up stick, blush, mascara

    ReplyDelete
  24. WOW. your story made me laugh, because THAT'S what i call a big make up challenge! I'm sure you end up looking gorgeous, but I can only imagine how stressful that day was!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!