Thursday, August 21

Musical Instrument Museum

You guys probably didn't know this (nor would it ever really be relevant) but there's a Musical Instrument Museum on Arizona. Nestled in the desert, this building might seem out of place... but the aesthetically pleasing architecture makes it seem natural in the desert landscape. 
Once inside, you see long curvy hallways that remind me of concert halls. Fitting, given the theme and in fact, the museum does host concerts quite often. Though there's a lot to see. I visited the majority of the museum in a few hours.

First, I started off in a room that sorted music by geographic location; we traveled the world through song and sound, learning about how all sorts of instruments evolved through time. 

 Then, we went to a room that featured a lot of modern artists. One of the coolest exhibits I saw was this Olympic Drum from the 2008 Beijing Olympics. I never realized it was so intricate up close. 

Lastly, after an entire day of being forbidden to touch the instruments, there was an interactive room. Bongos, drums, gongs, a theramin and even an automated machine were available to play with.


If you're looking for an event to do with parents or young kids, I highly recommend this. There was a surprising number of young adults just wandering the halls alone, too. Very fun to visit at least once!


Anything similar in you area? Or is the Musical Instrument Museum one of a kind? 

12 comments:

  1. Well, maybe not take my kids since they'd probably break everything ;). I'd love to see how intricate that drum from the Beijing Olympics is!!! Not sure anything like that around here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh this looks like a cool museum! I'm not musical in any way but it'd be fun to play on the interactive ones haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks awesome! Please tell me you tried the theramin!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This museum looks like my kind of place to visit! The closest that I have in where I live is Art Museum :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. i used to play the violin :P

    xx.M
    www.bellesandrebelles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. how awesome! i have the frog one--a replica, not an ancient one, lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow, I've never heard of this museum before, but it certainly looks interesting - especially for people who play instruments!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fantastic place to visit. I'd love to see it myself. xx

    www.todaymyway.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never been to a musical instrument museum but this looks amazing! If I ever go to Arizona, I will def visit it :) Thanks for sharing! I invite you to visit my blog and let me know if you would like to follow each other to stay in touch.
    XOXO

    Milu
    www.hellolupi.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cool! Kids just love interactive exhibits like that.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!