Monday, December 14

Movies to Watch During Holiday Break

I love spending my holidays catching up on movies that are a few years or few months old... you know, those movies that you always meant to watch but never got around to it? Well, if you have a week or two off in December, curl up around the couch and see if you're into these films below:

Or if you're looking to go a bit older, I have an entire series on movie reviews. See 2013 Movies Part 1, and 2013 Movies Part 2, and 2012 Movies!. 
via weheartit

Big Hero 6 - This won for Best Animated Picture and I have to say, it was so deserving. This film was funny, adorable and tugged at your heartstrings... and isn't that all that makes an animated picture perfect? Also, if you like Tokyo or San Francisco, look for all the markers of your favorite city in the movie's San Fransokyo. 4.5/5 

Into the Woods - You can usually count on me to love any musical, but I did not enjoy this one at all. Despite its all star cast, I found that this would probably be better for a stage production. As a movie, it was hugely disjointed. There was a plot twist halfway during the movie that was completely unexpected... I couldn't trust the movie afterwards. 2/5 

Birdman - Realistically speaking... I only watched half an hour of the movie. All of it was so awkward and there was so much interpersonal conflict that I couldn't keep watching. I'm sure it's a great movie, but I don't usually like to go this deep with my entertainment. ?/5 

The Hobbit: Battle of Five Armies - This was not my favorite of the three films. I really enjoyed the beginning when the Bard was fighting Smaug, but the rest of the film really seemed to drag on. Even the last battle was not as glorious and epic as I had imagined. 4/5

Hercules - I watched the Hercules reboot with the Rock. Because... you know. The Rock! His movies may not always be Oscar contenders, but they are always a fun enjoyable time. This film is loosely based on the legend of Hercules. All the elements you know and love are present, but it makes no claims on originality. 3.5/5 

Lucy - I thought I was really going to enjoy this movie. It had all the hallmarks of a movie I enjoy. Badass female lead? Check. Action adventure? Check. Comedy? More or less... it seemed lighthearted from the trailer. However, this film was so incoherent in terms of the plot that I could not follow it at all. 3.5/5 

The Interview - What a ridiculously stupid movie. I think at this point, you know whether you like the team of Franco/Rogen. If their other works like Pineapple Express have charmed you, then you will probably enjoy this film. If you find them inane and not in a good way, stay far away from this movie. The publicity (NK would attack theaters showing this film) that went out right before the film really helped its popularity , but was it deserving of media attention? I think not, the film was good but not that inflammatory. 4/5 

A Million Ways to Die in the Past - One of Seth McFarlane's films, but not at all comparable to the classic Family Guy or the appropriate for more audiences "Ted". I am not a fan of Family Guy, but really enjoyed Ted, which is why I thought I would want to see this movie. As it turns out, performances by an all-star cast (Liam Neelson, Charlize Theron) all fell flat. It's still a fun movie if you're very bored one night, if there are other options, I would steer away. 2.5/5 

X-Men Days of Future Past - While an enjoyable action film, this movie does not stand out in my memory. I have to admit that I am not really a huge fan of Jennifer Lawrence and her acting! From the entire "younger" X-Men cast, her portrayal of Mystique is my least favorite. The film will keep you entertained for about 2 hours, but that's it. 3/5 

Grand Budapest Hotel - I wanted to end the note on a very good movie. This is the only other film on this list that is considered a Oscar Contender vs a Summer Blockbuster. And I have to say I loved it! The story telling is extremely captivating and being a Wes Anderson film, the visuals are breathtaking. Ralph Fiennes, who I only knew from Harry Potter is such an excellent actor. 5/5

13 comments:

  1. I love love love Grand Budapest Hotel...It's stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have wanting to see Big hero 6, I will soon, just because,,,,and now I'm curious about Grand Budapest, I should definitely give this a go,Thanx, xoxo BING.

    www.bingyourstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't like Into The Woods either! LOL And I love musicals. It was torture to watch. I want to see The Hobbit and Budapest Hotel. Thanks for this list Aki.
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just watched the last one on the list recently again - love it

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for your recommendations. I would have to check these out. Enjoy the rest of your week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahh this wants me to see movies too ~!
    Thanks for the recommendations! I will check one of them out!

    Sugarcandycandy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great list:) I've seen most of these, except for some like Hercules, which is cray cray coz it has Dwayne! And I actually really loved Lucy...hehe

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've seen 8 of these movies. Highly recommended. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the movie roundup! There are definitely a few on this list that I have not seen yet! I have been watching all of the Harry Potters as I feel like they are just part of the Christmas movie list but I totally forgot about the Hobbit and LOTR in general - they are also great holiday films to watch. Not really sure why I feel like these two series are so Christmasy as the content isn't really Christmasy but I think they always came out in the theatres in December and maybe that is why!


    Rae | Love from Berlin

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great movie selection...watching these is definitely a fun way to relax during the holidays!

    http://roadesque.com
    http://ourruins.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. A movie that was recently released that is amazing is "The Big Short." There are some risque parts but it's overall a great movie!

    xoxo,
    Natalie
    Trending In Fashion

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Grand Budapest Hotel is one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so gonna watch The Grand Budapest! Thanks for all the recommendation :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!