Monday, February 8

(Lunar) New Year Resolutions

This Monday, we celebrate Chinese New Year... which is the best time for New Year's Resolutions, right? Even though I stopped making New Year's Resolutions a lot time ago and more recently, resolutions have been made into the stuff of ridicule for a lot of us, (myself included) we are on a constant path of self improvement. 

So, resolutions, goals, ill-conceived, doomed-to-fail plans... Whatever these may be, here are some of mine. 

1. Stop worrying about work for the next 6 months. Long story short, I got on a project that is long, unique and outside of the office. For the past few months, I've been extremely worried about about the project, the people I am working with, my integration into the office, and my career as a whole. I've gotten a bunch of advice both ways and I'm just going to be recklessly optimistic about it. It's six months, I get to enjoy being at home with my partner and taking care of myself. 

2. Keep Active. I'm not going to set a goal of losing a certain amount of weight, but I do want to keep active. Whether it's yoga, pilates, kickboxing, hiking or just going on the elliptical, I want to keep moving. I used to be completely out of breath after a quarter of a mile, but now 3-4 miles is not too bad for me. And didn't even realize I could go so far until my friend told me that she did an average of 5-6 miles in a day. Following that, I realized I should and could step it up. 

3. Write letters to friends. I can't even say I've recently gotten into brush script and calligraphy as I don't have any supplies yet. But I did realize, during one morning of stress, that I really want some type of semi-artistic outlet for my entirely non-artistic self. I saw the beautiful calligraphy and brush script art that's been popping up in the blogging community and thought that it might be something that I could do as well. I practiced some faux calligraphy and found it fun enough that I ordered a set of water colors. I can't wait to make my friends cards and pretty letters! 

4. Cook! I love cooking. in 2015, I've learned a lot about cooking through Blue Apron. I have obsessed over cakes on food blogs and even purchased my own cake pan to make my own cake. This year, I want to make those beautiful desserts I see so often happen. Chocolate cakes galore! In addition to that particular dish, I also want to make a seafood pasta. Living in the PNW, seafood is so fresh and good so I need to take advantage of that. 

5, Travel out of the country This year, i actually have plans to go to China, so perhaps this plan is a little bit of a cop out. (I am also putting this goal out there to make sure I actually do it though!)  My trips, both locally and abroad are often the highlights of my year. I'm hoping to hit Portland and Eastern Washington as well this year. Hopefully, I'll make it t Vancouver as well. 


Happy Lunar New Year if you celebrate! 
Even if you don't, feel free to restart your resolutions today.
 Did you already break your resolutions... or are you still going strong?

28 comments:

  1. Happy new year to you too!! <3 Lunar New Year is a good time for a 'new year, new me' moment ^^" I wish you all the best of luck in completing your goals! I know you can do it!! Also good luck with your career ambitions! I've always wanted to try traditional calligraphy. Maybe there is still some ink laying around..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay resolutions! I like them more now that I've gotten better at setting realistic goals (and am actually achieving some of them lol). p.s. I will take a letter. And write one back to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Chinese New Year! Where in China are you headed?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Portland for sure! Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, I sure like this post, I am constantly thinking of my career and keeping fit, so 1 & 2 were also my goals..
    Let me know when you are coming to Portland? If you're interested of meeting up/traveling alone, Send me a message the easiest at
    https://www.facebook.com/DGMedleyDearGirl/?ref=hl

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy New Year, Aki! These are really attainable goals. I like how you chose to remain optimistic about work and also on keeping active instead of putting numbers to your weight. Keeping active and healthy comes first and then the numbers would follow and even if the numbers do not go down, it doesn't mean it is bad. Coz you could actually be healthier coz of muscles and lesser fats. I hope that you manage to plan for your travels too!

    All the best!

    Jo
    Jo's Jumbled Jardinière

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck with the resolutions! I wish you lots of fun with number 5 :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. We definitely need to cook more this year! It's something we really enjoy but we don't do enough of

    M + K
    Bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Lunar New Year!! Good luck with these goals! I am definitely with you on #2!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Belated happy New Year:) And these look like great solid goals. Fingers crossed for you. I myself always make resolutions but tend to break them all by the end of the week, so....

    ReplyDelete
  11. i am super excited for your trip to china!! it's on my bucket list!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Lunar year. And wish you all the best for your goals.
    My goal is to be more organized and blog more :-)

    http://naturelbellefemme.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like some very good goals! I love the idea of letter writing! I am also happiest when I am doing creative things! Have a great year, and enjoy your travel!
    xx, Elle
    http://www.theellediaries.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think the key to weight loss or overall health is just what you're doing - focusing on the activity levels and what you can do. I also think the scale is a bit of a farce when it comes to weight loss. As you exercise, you will find that your weight stays even at a point or you may gain some because muscle is more dense than fat. I think cooking more is such an awesome resolution! I love trying new recipes as well.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. More baking and cooking sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy Chinese New Year! I am definitely all about getting more active + organized. :)

    -Ashley
    Le Stylo Rouge

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy New Year! That is so fantastic that you are going to China. I have always wanted to go there.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy Lunar New Year! Sounds like good goals and things to implement into your year. Wishing you all the best! I love to cook, so we are trying to cook more together as a couple. x
    FASHION TALES // Eco-Chic

    ReplyDelete
  19. Keeping active sounds like a fabulous goal and I love your intention of travelling more - I hope you'll cover any adventures on your blog, I love reading travel diaries! :)

    Gabrielle | A Glass Of Ice
    x

    ReplyDelete
  20. I really like these goals! Keeping active is something I really resonate with--I always say that I'd go insane at school if I didn't carve out regular time to train. And you're totally right--you will surprise yourself with how much you accomplish if you keep working at it. I used to be absolutely depleted after a mile in middle school, and now I'm an avid endurance athlete.

    Wishing you the best with all your goals!

    imperfect idealist

    ReplyDelete
  21. Good resolutions. Hope you keep it up.

    Gong xi fa cai!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love it! Happy new year :) x

    Rita
    http://ritatriestoblog.blogspot.pt/

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow, great piece... extremely creative work!!
    Thanks for the support and thoughtful words on my recent post, I deeply appreciate it!!
    MyLyfeMyStory

    ReplyDelete
  24. Those are great solutions. Keep it up! Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great resolutions! I think keeping active is a perfectly attainable goal and something that a lot of us should have instead of "lose x amount of pounds".

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great summary of your year. Loved the photos, especially of NYC, but I am biased that way. Your march from last year, sounds like my last few weeks! I am so with you on the Keep active advice!
    xx, Elle
    http://www.theellediaries.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!