Monday, April 11

Overdue Reading Update - Book Reviews

It's time again for an update on what I've been reading! I don't read as much nowadays, but I feel like I demand a high quality from what I do read. My highly recommend read from the past few months is the Scarlet Pimpernel! 

via tumblr


The Sherlockian 
by Graham Moore 

 It might be a little strange, but the majority of books I read now are Sherlock Holmes related. In my latest venture was the Sherlockian by Graham Moore. It's definitely a weird book that employs a strategy of dual story telling. One arch focuses on Arthur Conanc Doyle solving the murder of a young woman in the 1800s. The second arch is set in the present day and focuses on a murder that happens at a Holmes Convention. While the book didn't have amazing writing, it was definitely a page turner. I thought I didn't like the book at first, but when I finished, I hoped there would have been a sequel. Read this if you're into fast-paced mysteries. 

The Scarlet Pimpernel 
by Baroness Emma Orczy 

This book was recommended to me by an individual who knew that I loved reading mysteries. But just because I enjoy mysteries doesn't necessary mean I enjoy every mystery... Nevertheless, I started the book and for the first few months I had it, I got through 3 or 4 pages in the preface. Then, one weekend, when I had time, I picked it up and finished it in a day. This is one of those books that I would recommend to anyone and everyone in a heartbeat. The romance and mystery in this book was right up my alley. I grew a little annoyed with the main character, but soon, I loved everyone in the book. I really want this to be turned into a movie with Chris Pratt as the male lead. If you like Austen style romance, Les Miserables, or mysteries, read this immediately. 

Good Omens
by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett

This is a very popular book, but I just wasn't feeling it. There are sections of this book that are incredibly quotable and funny, but strung together as a story, it just didn't interest me. I loved the last book I read by Neil Gaiman, so, I'm scared to think that it might be Terry Pratchett I don't enjoy. This book is about an angel, a demon and the 11 year old Anti-Christ who cancels Armageddon. 


What else have you read lately? I would love to hear your recommdations. 


14 comments:

  1. I haven't read The Scarlet Pimpernel before, but your description sounds awesome! I am definitely going to look into it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Sherlock Holmes! I had no idea that there were basically "published fanfiction" about Sherlock/ the author. This one is definitely going on my to read list :) Thanks for the recs!

    Mili

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice! I've always wanted to start on my Sherlock Holmes reading. I will this year. After I'm done with my other books. But I promise to start this year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so impressed you have the time to read! Actually, I admire that. I feel like I don't have enough time for the things I want to do *sigh*.

    http://ahleessa4realz.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sadly I haven't done much reading lately! Keep getting distracted by a certain 2.5 yo boy...

    ReplyDelete
  6. The last two on your list are on my "favourites of all time" list

    ReplyDelete
  7. Adding Scarlet Pimpernel to the getting-longer list! Thanks for the rec!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooooh, I need to read The Scarlet Pimpernel! :)

    -Ashley
    Le Stylo Rouge

    ReplyDelete
  9. You know, The Scarlet Pimpernel is one of those classics and I do love my classics, but admittedly I've yet to read this one. Will get on it! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm not a "traditional" mystery fan, like Sherlock Holmes. Or maybe I just never gave it a try. So, I'll put The Scarlet Pimpernel on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sherlock Holmes related books are amazing!

    xx,
    Abby
    www.houseofakih.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like a great read! thanks for sharing :)

    xx Jamie | With Love, Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  13. I haven't read these titles but look like a good read! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  14. I read The Scarlet Pimpernel in eighth grade and really loved it! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!