Monday, December 19

Favorite Dates

Quality time. What does that even mean? After moving in with my partner, I've grown to realize that it's about continuing to get to know the other person and to grow with them as they grow. It makes sense if you think about it. What's a common reason for divorce? Irreconciable differences. "Oh... we just grew apart over time." 

That's just the issue, isn't it? I think the most successful couples that I see grow with each other over time. They make each other better. 

This is where quality time comes it. It's so easy to live with someone, to see them every day and not really know them. However, as it comes to exploring new ideas, it can be hard to push each other forward in the same direction. 
check out the awesome hair I have going on here.
1. Visit the Theatre - Or go fancy! Amidst the monotony of living together, the chores, the kids, the long days at work, it's no wonder that things get boring. What do new couples do? They do hot air balloon rides and surprise road trips and spontaneous spa days. What do "old" couples do? A movie night once in a while? A nice dinner out? By going fancy, you get to inject spice and newness into your relationship. Sure, it might be expensive, but saving a few dinner dates for a mystery dinner theatre show would be worth it. 

2. Do Something Physical (see photo above!) - I read somewhere long ago that physical activity really helps body chemistry in developing attraction. I'm going to butcher the science, but there's some chemical reaction where physical exercise causes endorphins that make you like who you spend time with. A physical date helps keeps the both of you in shape, is challenging, and is out of the norm! 

3. Active over Passive - I love watching a movie in theatres as much as the next person, but sometimes you need to be more engaged... more focused on each other, if you will. I feel that this is the main distinction between "time", and "quality time". You have to take this opportunity to check in with your partner. Do so like you would a long time friend, sure, you might talk every day, but how often do you take a step back and talk about the big picture? Or really talk about the details more than that surface level conversation really allows?


Any other awesome date ideas? 
What do you like to do?

8 comments:

  1. These are great ideas:) My husband and I have been together for awhile now, and one thing we always do is just to hang out together when we have the time. I'm lucky enough that my husband's schedule allows us to spend time alone when the kids are in school some days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading time is totally one of my favourite things to do together -either the same or different book

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do! I did a post once on 50 dates ideas. Now if only I had a date! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are pretty bang on! We also cook together. Or maybe it's more of, I watch, he cooks? HAHA

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your point about active versus passive! We go to the gym together a lot but it's not like we are connecting. Congrats on moving in!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great thoughts, sweetie! I've been married for 26 years & always finding things to do together. Hubby & I took foreign lang classes & watch Korean dramas together recently; just some of the things we do as an "old" couple. Hahaha! Merry X'mas, dear! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love going to the movies too and talk about it afterwards. :)
    Happy 2017 to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this! My other half and I are very different in terms of personality and interests but we support each other in our separate hobbies and interests and we put 100% effort into the activities we like to do together like running, going out to dinner, watching a movie, or taking a day off from work just to be in each others' company without kids for a while.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!