Don't Call it a Comeback

by - 7:00 AM

This blog is almost 10 years old and something I started in college. So it's desperately needing a refresh. But what makes now a good time to do a refresh? 

So I'm looking through a lot of my blog posts from 10 years ago, and it's easy to tell how the camera quality has improved over time. Some of my pictures from back in the day straight up look like crime scene photographs. I didn't take pictures in natural light -- or specifically, I found pictures that I took outside...under a street lamp...when it was dark.

And then there are some things that never change like my penchant for eating foods that look disgusting and taking low light, low quality pictures of my food in restaurants. 

I've long agonized about exactly what to write about in my comeback post. 

Should I give an update about where I've been? Should I share about what's new in my life? Or perhaps, I continue where my last post left off and analyze my resolutions and set new goals for the year. My conclusion? 

It probably doesn't matter. It's probably one of those cases where you're paying way more attention to yourself than others are. But real answer? How about all of the above? 

I started this blog in college to interact with others when I was bored, but after starting work, I found that I had less and less time to dedicate to this hobby. Then as I became acclimated to work, I realized I lost all my hobbies. Instead of taking flash photography of nail art, or posting about where I had traveled, or putting together outfits, I struggled to sleep 7 hours a night and to feed myself daily. As a kid, I knew that I need to study hard to get a good job, but no one ever told me what came after you got a job. All of a sudden, I started learning about "work-life balance" and "burnout". While I think learning about the real world is just a part of growing up, I was ill-prepared to say no to anything. While it's not that work was so busy that I stopped living life, it was so busy that I stopped documenting it. So what does that mean for the future? 

I'm looking forward to posting about old classics like trip recaps and mundane thoughts about life, but also excited to bring forth new ideas.


Here's to looking forward, not back. 

You May Also Like

7 comments

  1. I also came to a point where I realised that I had lost all my hobbies. It was so strange to realise that, because growing up, I was the kid who was always doing extra curricula. Of course, in high school the extra curricula were a little targeted with college apps in mind, but even more that, I was an active kid and was involved in activities outside of academics. Recently there's been a few articles championing having hobbies just for the fun of it, or even having hobbies that you're bad at. One random hobby I've taken up at the beginning of 2019 is knitting, which was completely inspired by those articles. I've also made a better effort to be more active on my own blog and in the blogosphere, similar to you :) -Audrey | Brunch at Audrey's

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In realized that in school, I was only partially doing the extra curricular because I had to. It was part of the overall expectations. But I'm glad now that I can do what I want!

      Delete
  2. So glad to see you back here and I’ve been wondering how you’ve been. Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I've been reading up on your blog this whole time! Miss you!

      Delete
  3. It's good seeing your name pop up again! Life definitely does leave me with wanting to sleep most of my free time, but since starting my blog over 8 years ago now, I treat it very much like an outlet. I like that it is a different space than my day job. I stopped looking at my numbers and just went with writing about what made me happy instead of what collections were cool and trendy. Looking forward to seeing your content!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea to forget about the numbers! It's such a hard mindset to get away from!

      Delete

Thanks for your comments!

Facebook